Some Newbie Questions

Ask anything about smart gambling
Sidey
Gaining experience
Gaining experience

Some Newbie Questions

Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:37 am

Hi guys

I have some newbie questions id like to ask.  Ive been grabbing bookie bonuses slowly over the last couple of weeks to get some capital to try some arbing in the summer and now that im slowly beginning to understand the ideas, there are some questions that keep popping up.

1.  I keep reading the terms soft book / hard book and soft line / hard line. Could someone please clarify what they are and what the difference is between them please?

2.  Most of the advice ive read seems to suggest that if I was to use a bookie like paddy power for any kind of serious arbing that there is a strong liklihood that my account would become limited rather quickly.  I was wondering if having your account limited is a permanent sanction, or temporary?  Will the bookie remove the limits after say a few weeks of inactivity etc?

Thanks for the help guys.
arbusers
Administrator
AdministratorAdministratorAdministratorAdministratorAdministrator

Re: Some Newbie Questions

Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:09 am

1. Soft books = bookmakers that are slow to change their odds when an arbitrage position appears. For example, Ladbrokes, WillHill, StanJames etc. These bookmakers are offering the soft lines.
Base books = Bookmakers/exchanges where you will cover/sell the soft line. For example Betfair, Pinnacle, Sbobet.
2. It is a permanent situation. No book would remove limits after few weeks. Some years back, BAH would reverse limits, but not any more.
Sidey
Gaining experience
Gaining experience

Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:19 am

Brilliant thanks for the reply, I did suspect that was the case with limits, but just wanted to check, and this brings me to the main question:

If after placing a series of bets with the soft books you are likely to get limited, that means there is a finite amount of decent cash you can take from them and then after that you're down to small bets with very low actual profit.  So what happens after your account becomes limited by a large number of the soft books?  Is it feasible to make good profits from only using base books?  Is that where the majority of the profits lie?

From what ive read on these forums (which are brilliant) it sounds as though the best thing a newbie can do is hold off on arbing with the soft books untill you have sizeable enough capital to absolutely rinse them in a short a time as possible before they impose limits.  Or have I come to the wrong conclusion?
arbusers
Administrator

Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:37 am

We answered these questions many times before, but lets do it again.
There are at least 50-55 arbable bookmakers out there. You dont have to attack to all of them  at once, unless you have sufficient cash amount, 100-120k.
If you dont have that amount, then you selct 5-6 bookmakers to arb with. When a bookmaker limits you, and there is nothing more you can exploit, you replace it with an other. When there is no more space for you to maneuvre, you find unconventional ways of exploiting bookmakers.
You can stay only with basebooks. You will need basebooks for arbing. If you have only basebooks, then there is only one thing you can do, and this is trading. trading is a different story compared to arbing.
Sidey
Gaining experience
Gaining experience

Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:27 pm

Cheers thanks for the info :)
BO
BOOYAKA

Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:00 pm

I've been limited by the majority of bookies, so I arb with the sharps and exchanges and also trade on betfair. My betfair account is now close to premium charge, you can't survive long term without multiple ID's.
whitesnake
Has experience
Has experienceHas experience

Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:18 pm

and how is it going with sharps and betfair? are profits higher or lower than arbing?
BO
BOOYAKA

Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:52 pm

Usually smaller percentage arbs but larger volume. Not as good as having usable skybet, ladbrokes, b365, paddy power accounts.  :)
whitesnake
Has experience

Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:57 am

Is it possible that bookie limits you before finishing rollover and thus putting in danger the bonus?
arbusers
Administrator

Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:04 am

whitesnake wrote: Is it possible that bookie limits you before finishing rollover and thus putting in danger the bonus?
It is possible with some bookmakers. 12bet, wagerweb, justbet, betcris and betway for example. I  sure there are even more that cant recall right now.
whitesnake
Has experience

Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:04 pm

Thank you for the answer.
Mi_t_is
Gaining experience
Gaining experience

Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:08 pm

BOOYAKA how do u search for arbs on sharps? Thank you.

whitesnake- finish with limit on all bookies, Format PC, reinstal windows,  change ip adress, and play again.
Last edited by Mi_t_is on Sun May 18, 2014 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BO
BOOYAKA

Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:25 pm

I use my PC, a piece of paper, a pencil and a calculator. Thank you.  :)
Mi_t_is
Gaining experience
Gaining experience

Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:01 am

good equipment. Respect :) good luck

Return to “Newbie's questions”