We're human. Humans born to make mistakes!
Even most experienced arbers can make mistakes sometimes so don't be afraid to make mistakes. It's important to learn from your mistakes though. Don't do same mistake twice!
Okay, here's my favourite mistakes!2 December 2012, Parlaying arb bet with a 1,01 Favourite
I was arbing Seattle Seahawks-Chicago Bears (NFL) game. In order to overcome maximum bet limit problem, I parlayed Seattle with a 1,01 handball favourite; Savehof. I picked Savehof Double Chance in order to make my bet more banker, more safe. Guess what? Savehof lost outright!
total.2 December 2012, Picking Same Team Twice
I was arbing Baltimore Ravens - Pittsburgh Steelers game. Instead of picking Baltimore -7,5 and Pittsburgh +7,5; I picked Baltimore -7,5 twice! Of course, Baltimore lost outright, costing me -2327€!
It was a bad start to month (2nd day of month and you're -3100€!) but I'm so glad I did these mistakes since my motivation and ambition was skyrocketed. I was burning with passion to erase my reds. It worked! I worked like a bee and erased unpleasant 3100€ loss in a week. By 9 December, I was up 210€ and finished the month with 15.076€ profit.
Who knows, Maybe I would finish the month with a lessser profit if I didn't made these mistakes since these mistakes whipped me, boosting my ambition and enthusiasm.3 November 2012, Even Pinnacle Limits can be low sometimes..
You know Pinnacle has a good reputation for having big limits. Well, that's not really true for Turkish Volleyball League. I was so happy to be able to pick Yesilyurt at 1,576 for 3000€. Yes, I managed to place 3000€ on a Volleyball game. I was shocked when I checke Pinnacle page and saw "Max bet Limit 151€".
Hopefully, there was a massive line movement towards Yesilyurt, I was able to pick Nilüfer (other side) every 5 minutes. Picked some Nilüfer at 3,20; odds dropped to 3,00 then raised to 3,20 again. Picked some more and keep doing it 'til the start of game. I was able to hedge some % of my arb but not all. When the market was closed, my position was Yesilyurt 1,576 for 3000€ and Nilüfer 3,10-3,20 for 930€.
Of course, Nilüfer won and I lost approximately 1k!
Anyway, still it's better than losing 3k.
Lesson Learned! Always check Pinnacle Max Bet Limit before placing your arb.Recently, Esbjerg-Nordsjælland
(Not a mistake actually, but it was too close!)
Actually, it's not a mistake since I realized it before pressing confirm button, but it was too close! It was 2 or 3 days ago if I recall correctly, I saw an arbitrage opportunity on Esbjerg-Nords game. Over 2,5 was 1,80 while Under 2,5 was available at 2,52-2,53 at Pinnacle. Then, I noticed these two events are different! One was a friendly game starts after 30 minutes while other one was a league game, scheduled on 22 July! You could think these events are same since same teams are playing..
So always check start time/date of events!
Finally, I like to share a CHECK LIST that stands on my wall.
* Always check Max Bet Limits for both sides.
* Check your bookie balance, specially Pinnacle/Sbo/IBC.
* Always cover your action, don't gamble.
* Always pick non-pinnacle side first. You bet first at softbook and then Pinnacle/Sbo/IBC/Betfair.
* Double check your bets and keep an excel, be organized.
* Be alarmed before holidays/weekends since banks will be closed. (No Swift, No Western Union)
* Always check bookie rules for specific sports such as tennis, baseball, oil wrestling etc.
* Ignore any betting opportunity if 2 minutes (make it 5 minutes if you're a beginner) left before the start of event.
You're more likely to make mistakes when you're in hurry.
* Check bookie maintenance hours, specially Pinnacle, lol.
* Check starting time/date of events. Same teams may face each other twice in a week. (League game, Cup game, Friendly game)
* Check if bets/odds are placed correctly in your betting ticket. Happened me once. I picked Player-1 but in my betting ticket, Player-2 was listed.
Then I picked Player-2 and saw Player-1 was listed in betting ticket. Contacted customer service and they corrected it.