using my local betting shops in the UK.

Ask anything about smart gambling
thechosen
Gaining experience
Gaining experience

using my local betting shops in the UK.

Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:28 pm

Good day to you fellow arbusers

I live in the uk so bonus hunting is not as profitable as for you guys on the continent from what I can gather so far. I have been reading a book that tells you about backing and laying at exchanges ect. This got me interested as it tells you to gather coupons from the main 3 bookies early on ie coral ladbrokes and william hill.

Where I live the place is covered with these betting shops, much like the rest of the UK, so they should be put to good use if you can get to them easily like me!!! My book tells me to compare the early coupon prices and look for the abnormally higher ones. They can obviously change so you have to ask in shop before placing a bet.
The main positive I see here Is you will not be limited, and some big bets can be put down easily. Here is an example I found as well as I can remember please tell me if I just got lucky or if its something I should try to do during the week to make a bit of pocket money, also would the english football on a saturday be a good target as I imagine the lay price is helped down by the large volume of bets being placed prior to kick off.

Athletico blibao. coupon odds for win---- Ladbrokes 1.72 Coral 1.66 William hill 1.80.

So I go into hills and place a £500 bet on the win returning £900.

I then see the lay price is steadily dropping then just prior to kick off the lay price is 1.70.

I make my stake £525 with liability around £348.

ie Athletico wins as they did 3-1.... go to will hill pick up my £900 and lose £348 at bet fair--- £52 profit

they draw or lose. £525 win at bet fair less commision so a break even or tiny loss.

Did I get very lucky or do these situations occur on a regular basis thanks for reading.

Stuart
arbusers
Administrator
AdministratorAdministratorAdministratorAdministratorAdministrator

Re: using my local betting shops in the UK.

Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:45 pm

These situations occur, but keep in mind that it could go very easily the other way.
You back at 1.8, and then you find your self trying to lay at 1.92.
You could do have some nice results when you keep an i phone watching lines at betfair.
The only think that i dont like is that you have to keep a LOT of money in your pockets, if you want a living.
arbusers
Administrator

Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:38 pm

Thanks m8.
I went to London this spring and i noticed several places with a number of betting shops in walking distance. Arber's paradise, but i m not quite sure if street arbing is enough to make a living.
Some years ago, there was someone who moved to Thailand doing street arbing with great success. I lost him.
thechosen
Gaining experience
Gaining experience

Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:37 pm

Thanks for that info very much appreciated. Coupons for the weekend come in tomorrow so I will have a look at them and right down any prices I fancy. Will look on bet fair prior to the matches see where I would have stood. one more question do you know if hill and lads do a decimal coupon I know coral do, cause I waste a lot of time converting from fractions to decimals.

Thanks
uknow
Has experience
Has experienceHas experience

Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:43 pm

Do the shops in uk have different odds than online? If not, why dont you just use alert services or odds comparison sites? When I place a bet in a shop I
get the same price as online.
homicidehank
Gaining experience
Gaining experience

Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:18 pm

Hills and Ladbrokes don't do coupons with decimal odds as far as I know. I have got used to coverting them now quite quickly. I have a conversion table which helped at the begining. You can draw up a conversion chart easy enough or print one from the internet. There is one with this link bettingzone.co.uk/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=betting/02/03/07/manual_140629.html . I get the coupons early, compare odds from 4 coupons and get the top prices for each side and the draw.  Then waiting until saturday to check betfair is the best option or friday. You can check straight away but the odds are more likely to drop nearer the kick off time. I did one today on the marseille - arsenal match. A local bookie offered 11/8 (2.37) on marseille and I laid it at 5/4 (2.26) on the exchanges. Not much profit but it all helps.

MX The bookies here in the UK have a coupon with fixed odds on for midweek games and another coupon for weekend matches. The odds on the internet change all the time but the coupon prices can't change as it is a printed form. Very rarely the bookies will take the action I mentioned earlier against dramatic price changes but they will still give you the coupon odds for some of your stake.
helias
Gaining experience
Gaining experience

Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:05 pm

if u wanna do this job you need some runners...or maybe u need to pay some betshop owners...
u cant go to place the bet and pray that the odds wont change till u go back to pc but i dont know if you could place the bets from mob phone i never used it cuz i dont wanna place big bets through mob phone...in any case runners are always a tool and very useful
thechosen
Gaining experience
Gaining experience

Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:22 pm

Thank you homicide hawk. I have a bit of a story on the arsenal game that is causing me a bit of distress and frustration.  I deposited £50 in a booky called bet klass when I was using a free trial from "Arb alarm" before I found this forum btw. Anyway they wont take any of my bets they always get a much lower stake allowed on £30 FFS. I managed to get £20 over to my bet fair last night on the benfica game. You may wonder why I dont Just withdraw? But This booky will not let me withdraw without faxing a credit card passport ect. I do not trust this booky as far as I could throw them as I reckon alot of spam text messages I have received lately have stemmed from this sorry excuse of a" book"I would have transferred my money last night if I could bet my £50 but was only allowed £20... Cut a long story short I backed arsenal and layed them on bet fair> I am now stuck with £80 with this absouloute JOKE of a bookie.

I know it is not alot of money but I feel I am being Scammed. As when I first asked for my money back they said " please note MR £$%""& all bets must be matched ect.......... What on £20?!!!! WHy are these people allowed to call them self a book. They are based in malta btw. I really dont want to give them any info but if I keep trying to trade to betfair the situation might get worse. I have read bad things about this book stake kidnapping ect....after I deposited. I know laying arsenal was probs not the best way but I am getting impatient with these people.
homicidehank
Gaining experience
Gaining experience

Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:12 pm

I haven't heard of this bookmaker you talk about but it's probably just a case of it being a low limit bookie (20 quid seems extreme though!) and they won't let you withdraw until you have bet your whole deposit once at least. Try betting another £30 with them and try withdrawing after that whether you win or lose. A lot of  bookies have the same system as they do not charge depositing fees so the least you have to do is bet your deposit to make it worth their while. The low limits with this bookie may also stem from joining from arb alarm. I don't know for sure but it could well be that reason. They may turn out to be a good bookie you never know. Just make sure you read all the T&C's before joining any book and do a little research first. Their are some books that I would never use just from reading bits and pieces on this forum mainly.
Helias, yes you are right about runners being useful. I have done that in the past...send a mate to the bookies and I put the exchange side on at home but also I have a local bookie who I have a phone account with and also a friend who works in one of the high street bookies so I can ring him and he will get the bet on for me as long as I get the cash to him asap.
Cretan
Gaining experience
Gaining experience

Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:31 pm

Arbusers wrote: Some years ago, there was someone who moved to Thailand doing street arbing with great success. I lost him.
Well known situation as "Bangong thing" ;D
It's very dangerous is to go to your local UK shop with 5000 pounds in your pocket. More dangerous if you imagine that you have to carry 250 papers of 20 pounds each - instead of e.g. 10 papers of 500 euro
arbusers
Administrator

Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:54 pm

You can't break 500 euro bills in the UK. They only accept 200s.
I m waiting to see what chances the antigambling bill in Greece will bring.
di
dimos8enis

Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:13 pm

how possible is it to have some new betting shops in greece?
if that happens i will quit everything and make a living from street arbing or combined with net arbing
seems a great idea but gambling restrictions in greece are awful
since E.E. is trying to force our government make so many changes couldn't they do sth for gambling as well  >:(
thechosen
Gaining experience
Gaining experience

Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:30 pm

Thanks for the replys. Some money in my bet klass--- £20 can now be withdrawn so I must be have to bet my balance once over thanks very much for the info. There Was a very nice lay arb on the spurs game but when your max bet is only £20 it is unfortunate to say the least. Got my coupons today going to start sorting them tonight and see how the prices go on bet fair. If I find anything of interest I will send out A PM to anyone who is interested as a thank you to the great info..
Cretan
Gaining experience
Gaining experience

Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:22 pm

Arbusers wrote: You can't break 500 euro bills in the UK. They only accept 200s.
I m waiting to see what chances the antigambling bill in Greece will bring.
Of course you can't. That's what I meant. They do their transactions with papers up to 20£. It's rare to use the 50£ paper. So imagine that you have to cross the street with 250 papers of 20£... Then count them with the bookie's employee. Oh, I'm already so tired  ::)
Unfortunately, the Greek anti-gambling law refers to the local bookmakers and of course they refer to OPAP's monopoly. No change for this.
Dimosthenis are you so optimist that you will continue arbing after the new law? I'm afraid that we have no chance to arb from Greece. Anyway, that's another (sad but true) story.
homicidehank
Gaining experience
Gaining experience

Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:31 pm

thechosen i would be interested in anything you come across on the coupon. I don't have any coral shops locally though so only ladbrokes and hills are of use to me. I have the coupons for this weekend but i don't think i will have time for sorting through them this week as I am away all day tomorrow and won't be back till late. I have been half way througha local bookies coupon and found a small arb which may get bigger. They have spurs at even money and it can be laid on betfair for 1.92 and the same on smarkets with 2% commission b ut i'm hoping the price will get lower by saturday and there isnt much liquidity there at the moment either. here's wishing you all a profitable wweekend

Return to “Newbie's questions”