BetBurger | Live and Pre-game surebets
RebelBetting - Turn betting into investing

What steps to take when there are delays in withdrawals?

Make bookmakers cash cow machines
freaked
Has experience
Has experienceHas experience

What steps to take when there are delays in withdrawals?

Wed May 18, 2016 4:34 pm

After reading all of the forum, I have noticed withdrawal problems from some big bookmakers, Willhill and Ladbrokes in particular.

It seems a favourite of theirs is to claim that “they cannot verify the authenticity of the documents” without giving any specific reason, and with multiple photos sent along with slow reply times this results in a very slow payout that some customers might give up on.

As the Gambling Commission is terrible for disputes and Willhill sponsor SBR, what are our routes to challenge them here?
luctens
To become a Pro
To become a ProTo become a ProTo become a Pro

Re: What steps to take when there are delays in withdrawals?

Wed May 18, 2016 11:33 pm

1. SBR definitely have big conflicts of interest and can never be fully independent from the bookmakers when pretty much all of their income is from bookmakers' ads and commission but that doesn't mean they won't help the customer just because it is regarding one of their sponsors so if getting nowhere with a bookie then first port of call for me would be SBR.

There are also two other ports of call for dispute middlemen. A guy called Paul Fairhead on Twitter on https://twitter.com/BoycottBetfred and he is sort of a one man SBR and will take your case on if he feels he can get a result for you.

Also Jimmy Justice on https://twitter.com/gondorffhenry has a website http://justiceforpunters.org/ that may be able to advise you.

2. If getting nowhere after that and you still feel you are in the right, putting some gentle pressure on through social media can help shake the bookie into gear and if you can google the CEO or somebody high in the company and find out an e-mail address for somebody like that then it can help to contact them.

3. Failing that then the only other option is to follow complaints procedure and go to IBAS which have made some questionable decisions in the past but you do have some hope with them and only step then if no joy is formal legal action through the courts

One thing that is best to do is not to give up if you are in the right and always stay polite with the bookmakers even if they are being obstructive as the staff are more likely to help you if you are being civil with them.

What I would say however is that whenever I see these complaints about bookies not paying up and especially the big boys like Hills and Ladbrokes etc, they aren't going to try and scam you out of money so if they are withholding payment then they feel they have legitimate concerns and as the saying goes, there's no smoke without fire.
freaked
Has experience
Has experienceHas experience

Thu May 19, 2016 2:58 pm

Has a bookmaker ever gone to court for a case where they assume they are being defrauded?

Surely once they get a lawyer letter, or court case date, they know that the "apparent" account holder is actually able to show up to the court and they will settle before the case?

They won't look too smart showing up to court to see me showing perfect documents to a judge that they have refused.
Skaggerak
Pro
ProProProPro

Fri May 20, 2016 12:20 am

This is interesting. I recently posted asking how a site verified me without asking for documents, yet down the line if I manage to win some big bets with this bookie and decide to withdraw, can they ask me for documents and behave in this manner described above? Disturbing.
luctens
To become a Pro

Fri May 20, 2016 2:44 am

freaked wrote: Has a bookmaker ever gone to court for a case where they assume they are being defrauded?

Surely once they get a lawyer letter, or court case date, they know that the "apparent" account holder is actually able to show up to the court and they will settle before the case?

They won't look too smart showing up to court to see me showing perfect documents to a judge that they have refused.
If the bookie believes they are being defrauded and believe that they will win in court then absolutely I believe they will turn up and fight it as they don't want to set a precedent of letting a fraudster get away with something.

However, I would think it would be very rare for it to get to that stage as if the customer is genuine then the issue would usually get sorted out before it gets to that and if the customer is fraudulent then the customer is unlikely to take it to court themselves
luctens
To become a Pro

Fri May 20, 2016 2:53 am

Skaggerak wrote: This is interesting. I recently posted asking how a site verified me without asking for documents, yet down the line if I manage to win some big bets with this bookie and decide to withdraw, can they ask me for documents and behave in this manner described above? Disturbing.
If they have verified you electronically without documents previously then you going on a run of winners shouldn't make a difference as they have already verified your details.

The only genuine reason for asking for more documents could be the amount of deposits you've made. The bookmakers have anti money laundering requirements to verify the source of funds if you have made significant amount of deposits. For example if you've deposited 20k-30k, they may be then required to verify the source of the funds used to place the bets. This is if it is a reputable bookie.

If you find a dodgy bookie asking for documents for no reason it could be just to stall you because they don't have the money to pay.

Return to “Arbing, matched betting and trading talk”