Who sets the odds?

Share ideas and experience on bookmakers. Search before starting any account
Kalitko
Gaining experience
Gaining experience

Who sets the odds?

Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:16 pm

Hi everyone!

I want to talk a bit about odds calculation providers that bookies use. We know all too well that soft bookies are not in the business of odds calculation, they rather purchase their odds from an external provider and invest in marketing efforts to grow their business (bonus offers & other promotions, sponsorship deals, etc). This leads to the fact that different bookies may end up with the same odds like Unibet & 888Sport for example.

I have the following problem: I live in a jurisdiction where only a handful of bookies have license to operate. 5 or 6 of them are big ones and the rest are some small local guys. The problem is after those 5 or 6 are depleted, all the others are not covered by any arb service. However, I strongly suspect that they use the odds calculation providers of some of the big companies, therefore theoretically I can set up my arb alert service to look up those big bookies and place the arbs in the local ones where the odds are the same.

So how do I figure out whose odds are they following (except the obvious, manually comparing)? Do you know of some source where one can find which groups of bookies are providing the same odds like unibet & 888sport in the example above? Thanks for your advice!
maletaja
Pro
ProProProPro

Re: Who sets the odds?

Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:33 pm

use google search "clones+bookies" and you will get your answer
barbero
To become a Pro
To become a ProTo become a ProTo become a Pro

Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:38 pm

Kalitko
Gaining experience
Gaining experience

Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:51 pm

Thanks. The info in this table (and few others I found) seems to be partly outdated.

For instance, I am looking for a clone of betcenter, which according to the table has same odds with interwetten, but it is not the case.

Also, guts. At some clone tables it stands that it shares odds with jetbull and noxbet but that is no longer true.

Any info about those two?
akujieze
Gaining experience
Gaining experience

Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:20 pm

Kalitko
Gaining experience
Gaining experience

Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:14 pm

Kalitko wrote: Thanks. The info in this table (and few others I found) seems to be partly outdated.

For instance, I am looking for a clone of betcenter, which according to the table has same odds with interwetten, but it is not the case.

Also, guts. At some clone tables it stands that it shares odds with jetbull and noxbet but that is no longer true.

Any info about those two?
OK, I figured out the first one. For anyone who cares - betcenter is clone of cashpoint.
Alfa1234
Totally Pro
Totally ProTotally ProTotally ProTotally ProTotally Pro

Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:03 am

No, it's not.  Betcenter is an Interwetten clone on the website.  In shop, half of their machines are Cashpoint clones (the new ones).

Edit: they changed the site, they are a cashpoint clone now.  ;D
Last edited by Alfa1234 on Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
arbusers
Administrator
AdministratorAdministratorAdministratorAdministratorAdministrator

Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:01 am

Odds are set by the big asian bookies. They follow their models taking into account a big number of factors. Usually this procedure takes part on Monday morning. Before they publish these odds, they  will take some large bets from their bigger clients that will estimate the value of each line. In some occasions these big clients pay an extra flat fee to have these odds available before anyone else.
After this, the odds are re-examined and then they are published for the wider audience.
Soft bookmakers will then compile their own odds taking into account all the conditions that they operate under. For example, many bookmakers are taking off-line bets that follow different rules than on-line bets. After that procedure, they publish their odds too and the market will then float offering the odds moves that we all love.
I believe that off-line bookmakers will take under consideration the market fluctuation. They will see where the Asians are, where the softs are, what their local demand is, what their bigger clients are willing to take, and then offer their lines to the streets.

Return to “Bookies discussion”