We're coming to End Of 2016. How was your year? (page 2)

Poll
Question: How was your year? (About Arbitrage Profit)  (Voting closed: January 01, 2017, 05:44:54 PM)
Better then last year - 24 (40.7%)
Not much like last year but still good - 12 (20.3%)
Worse then last year - 13 (22%)
Best Year Ever! - 3 (5.1%)
I quit arbing.. - 7 (11.9%)
Total Members Voted: 56

Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: We're coming to End Of 2016. How was your year?  (Read 3038 times)
Skaggerak
Probably a Pro

View Profile

Skaggerak

Re: Creativity
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2016, 12:02:26 PM »

bbc_standard_quote">Expectations

Expectations play a major role in our quest to reach higher goals. We can only achieve what we dream about. If you say "Oh, arbitrage business will be very bad next year", then it will be. You must come up with positive expectations if you want to reach your goal.

This year was a good year for me but I made lesser profit when compared to last year but still happy about it. Next year, I'm planning to make "more" profit then this year. However, I know I won't be able to make like 2 years before. Now, conditions are much more harder, much more challenging. However, we're more experienced and better armed. Things can only get better. Good luck all!  ;)

I like the story but this part is the real mental challenge. Having a positive outlook after logically going through the reasons as to why you've made more money before and won't reach those levels again is a mental trick, some sort of doublethink that really takes a lot of mental energy.

I'm not positive at all, definitely from Yorkjoss side of thinking. Continue to make probably the least profit in ratio to my posts here compared to everyone else :P still feel like I'm learning new things though, at least up until lately. I'm not sure how things will develop. I think there is a future at least for the short-term here but my ambition is to move into financial markets at some point. If only there were softbooks for the stock exchange!

I have a feeling I might be posting the exact same message here about getting into financial markets this time next I'm that unequipped to do so. If I do end up doing that, the positive I will take is that at least I will be alive to post such a message and will have survived the onslaught of 2017 :)

bbc_standard_quote">I have to congratulate anyone that is still arbing i really believe you are champs. Personally for my taste and geographic location(maybe?)

Can't help but feel if you think it's a waste of time then there should be a "u" instead of an "a" in the word "champs" ;D
Bubbles
Getting better

View Profile

Bubbles

Re: Creativity
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2016, 09:18:12 PM »

bbc_standard_quote">I'm not sure how things will develop. I think there is a future at least for the short-term here but my ambition is to move into financial markets at some point. If only there were softbooks for the stock exchange!

I have a feeling I might be posting the exact same message here about getting into financial markets this time next I'm that unequipped to do so. If I do end up doing that, the positive I will take is that at least I will be alive to post such a message and will have survived the onslaught of 2017 :)
I think anything after sport arbing will be a hard uphill struggle. Only in comparison you can appreciate that it really is easy money. I mean ppl with no experience can still start doing it and they will be profitable from week one (unless they're complete retards; try and test it anywhere else..) with only two factors limiting their future growth: access to new friends and skills. In this order (however being able to maintain a steady flow of friends is a huge skill in itself). One can argue that having these two factors in place one could have made much more in the past than today but still... as tough as it became it's way easier than anything else. On this positive note :P Marry Christmas everyone :)
thag

View Profile

thag

Re: We're coming to End Of 2016. How was your year?
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2016, 08:11:11 PM »

So any reason my posts were just deleted?  :o
Arbusers
Administrator
Pro

View Profile WWW

Arbusers

« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2016, 08:58:10 PM »

bbc_standard_quote">So any reason my posts were just deleted?  :o

Some posts are deleted to protect the posters and the forum from various authorities.
Thank you.
highroll

View Profile

highroll

« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2016, 06:00:50 PM »

I guess the most important thing is to have our health, so from that point 2016 was good. Merry christmas everyone
middler
Has some experience

View Profile

middler

« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2016, 06:56:32 PM »

Although it has been the best year so far, I believe that the second half of 2016 has been the beginning of the end for traditional sports arbitrage, at least for me.

I feel most valuable soft bookies (and by valuable I mean those that offer opportunities that are invisible for software arbers, over a long period of time, and are relatively safe to use) are becoming worthless. It might be coincidence, but I don't believe in such thing.

Since their business model is too inefficient for this industry, they have to either copy the same model as main soft bookies (set pinny's odds as a reference, and limit any person that takes higher ones, or even using Bet365 in some cases), or they directly externalize the odds software and act as an affiliate promoter for these companies.

Don't get me wrong, I still believe that experienced people will survive and be able to keep finding ways to extract value, but this is getting saturated, and i don't think new unexperienced people are welcome anymore.

To me, there are 4 ways in which a skilled and experienced arber can keep surviving in this industry:

1) Keep using friends' accounts (I don't practice this, never have, and of course won't start now).
You will need to be one step ahead of the bookies' security and KYC methods, but won't need any further financial/mathematical/creative skills.

2) Keep finding new ways to extract value out of bookies (what I have been trying to do and keep doing for a long time).
In order to do this you will need to be one step ahead of bookies, arbs softwares, competitive smart bettors and bots.
You will need assets that are not available to anyone, and maximize the income created with your resources, because they are LIMITED.

3) Create your own value (this is the one I like and enjoy most).
You will need creativity, experience, time and a big bank. Those who do it know how it works.

4) Find ways to sell your "valuable knowledge", that can be useful for any newcomer or even existing bettor.

That being said, anyone has their needs and desires, and for me, being able to set my own schedule, my own goals, not asking or having to explain anything to anyone, is the real financial freedom, and the best part of this.

I hope you all appreciate what you have and can continue to have it for a long period of time.

I wish everyone good luck for the upcoming year, hoping it is a profitable and happy one!
« Last Edit: December 23, 2016, 06:58:52 PM by middler » Logged
Bubbles
Getting better

View Profile

Bubbles

« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2016, 09:05:17 PM »

bbc_standard_quote">not asking or having to explain anything to anyone
well said

wait when you have missus and little ones :D
middler
Has some experience

View Profile

middler

« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2016, 10:44:14 PM »

bbc_standard_quote">
bbc_alternate_quote">
bbc_standard_quote">not asking or having to explain anything to anyone
well said

wait when you have missus and little ones :D

Wait until you have to pay for them to go to Uni :(

I'm on my way, so don't make me reconsider :S

P.S. Another thing I learned is not to try teaching your gf/wife arbing. They are happy to just spend your hard earned profits ;)
barbero
Getting better

View Profile

barbero

« Reply #23 on: December 25, 2016, 01:03:26 AM »

haha I learnt that too! I also totally agree with you guys that having this independence (not having a boss, deciding our own schedules, etc) is the best of our job. Good thoughts there middler  ;)
Pages: 1 [2]
Print