Handling Stake Limits

Ask anything about smart gambling
BeterBet
Gaining experience
Gaining experience

Handling Stake Limits

Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:31 pm

Goodafternoon fellow Arbers,

Imagine this: you have been scanning all your favorite bookmakers the entire day and finally see a nice, juicy, surebet consisting of two legs you would like to exploit. You log into your account and start placing bets. Your first bet is in (say EUR 60) and all you have to do is to place the second.... only problem is however; although the first bet is placed, the second leg can't be wagered in full (e.g. you can only wager 25 instead of 40). So you end up with something you as a pure arber simply hate - risk.

The problem is, this has happened to me quite a lot of times. My first response is to scan the rest of my bookmakers for some comparable odds on the wager, to complete my stake. Granted, it diminishes my arbitrage, but at least I haven't got any risk left. This is provided that I actually find some comparable odds somewhere.

My question is - how do you deal with this? Is there some clever way in which you can "probe" what your maximum wager is so that you know how much you can bet on both sided without facing unwanted risk? The problem is that if you press "place bet", it is placed instantaneously. Perhaps I am simply using the wrong bookies... (in above example it concerned marathonbet and myBet).

Any advice is welcome!
arbasian
Gaining experience
Gaining experience

Re: Handling Stake Limits

Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:24 pm

Always confirm limits of all legs in a line before actually placing bets. Marathon tells you the limits before placing. Don't know about mybet as I have never used it. However in this case if marathon limits are fine, I would first try placing the mybet sides. That way you're sure..
maletaja
Pro
ProProProPro

Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:16 pm

one solution-valuebet
Gamblers Ruin
Gaining experience
Gaining experience

Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:26 am

I will also place the side without any other comparable alternatives first; this one will hurt more if the line moves while I'm placing them.
Win->bet more->lose->bet same-> bankrupt
BeterBet
Gaining experience
Gaining experience

Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:47 pm

MaxShalamar wrote: A lot of bookies tell you the maximum stake before you place the bet - either a "max stake" button (B365 etc) or if you type 111111 or any large number and place the bet - check both side before placing either bet
Thank you very much, that actually sounds like very sound advice. One extremely newbie question however.... Is there a way in which they can still make me commit to any large number? Say I type in 9.999.999 (or some other big number), will they in any way be able to actually let me do the wager, provided I don't have the balance (Lol, I wish)? This must sound like the stupidest question in the history of questions....
yo
yorkjoss

Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:05 pm

BeterBet wrote:
MaxShalamar wrote: A lot of bookies tell you the maximum stake before you place the bet - either a "max stake" button (B365 etc) or if you type 111111 or any large number and place the bet - check both side before placing either bet
This must sound like the stupidest question in the history of questions....
so why ask it? yes it is the most stupidest question imaginable, had to re-read it a few times to believe
my eyes, but hey what do I know? maybe some day you will get £888 million on a bet and with william hill
and it wins and you get to keep the company, please remember us arbers when you take over?
BeterBet
Gaining experience
Gaining experience

Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:05 pm

yorkjoss wrote:
BeterBet wrote:
This must sound like the stupidest question in the history of questions....
so why ask it? yes it is the most stupidest question imaginable, had to re-read it a few times to believe
my eyes, but hey what do I know? maybe some day you will get £888 million on a bet and with william hill
and it wins and you get to keep the company, please remember us arbers when you take over?
Cool story bro
Last edited by BeterBet on Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BeterBet
Gaining experience
Gaining experience

Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:06 pm

MaxShalamar wrote:
BeterBet wrote:
Thank you very much, that actually sounds like very sound advice. One extremely newbie question however.... Is there a way in which they can still make me commit to any large number? Say I type in 9.999.999 (or some other big number), will they in any way be able to actually let me do the wager, provided I don't have the balance (Lol, I wish)? This must sound like the stupidest question in the history of questions....
No - you can never make a bet larger than your available balance
Thanks for your advice, I have tried it and it works. Was a bit too anxious placing bets, I am a rookie to this.
dealer wins
Totally Pro
Totally ProTotally ProTotally ProTotally ProTotally Pro

Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:25 pm

You bet the side that it out 1st comparec to betfair, its not rocket science.
Never trust a goose!!!
Antifragile
Gaining experience
Gaining experience

Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:56 am

dealer wins wrote: You bet the side that it out 1st comparec to betfair, its not rocket science.
Beware of liquidity at betfair. Sometimes the odds at betfair change rapidly. I suspect fellow arbers using the same alert services jumping in to collect the arb. This is particularly relevant in small markets with low liquidity.

What it means to a newbie is that you cannot be sure that the betfair odds can take an unlimited stake. Often an arbable bet at betfair disappears very quickly after it has been spotted by my alert service. ( I use en.surebet.com/users/sign_up?affiliate_code=arbusers&zone=arbusers" target="_blank" class="postlink autolinks">surebet.com)
adastra
Gaining experience
Gaining experience

Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:50 am

dealer wins wrote: You bet the side that it out 1st comparec to betfair, its not rocket science.
Sorry about the bump but I wasn't sure about what this meant exactly. What does it mean when a side is out 1st compared to Betfair?

Return to “Newbie's questions”