Poisson calculation

Make bookmakers cash cow machines
AceJack
Has experience
Has experienceHas experience

Poisson calculation

Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:15 pm

Hello :)

Recently Pinnacle sport released a pretty interesting article about Poisson calculation for soccer , finding this pretty interesting, -  I have spent the better part of a day building this Poisson calculator up:

Match for Testing is: English Premier: Crystal Palace vs Arsenal (for my model i used stats from 2015/2016 table)

My model produced these Odds: H:5,51 D:4,36 A:1,7  which isnt that far from the actual odds which are  H:4.9 D:4,2 A:1,78

(price for arsenal went up from 1,73 to 1,78 last hour)

But a closer Look at my model I can see that it has it way wrong with 0-0, (14,44) 1-0 (16,41) compered to real odds of 23 and 24 respectively . After reading about this it has come to my attation that the standard  Poisson calc is off and a Zero-inflated model should be used.

Do anyone here have some links so I can continue reading or maybe some pointers so I can try to update this formula more accurately ?
maletaja
Pro
ProProProPro

Re: Poisson calculation

Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:11 pm

Recently i participated some premier league competition.Played many games. And for me it was suprise that market offered 0-0 or under 0.5 goal  at odds 20+
It was suprise to me , i assumed like 8-12
AceJack
Has experience

Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:30 pm

maletaja wrote: Recently i participated some premier league competition.Played many games. And for me it was suprise that market offered 0-0 or under 0.5 goal  at odds 20+
It was suprise to me , i assumed like 8-12
I have been betting against the draw for quite some time and actually 8-12 for 0-0 is close to avrg I would think. 

You will see last season Arsenal on average concedes 1,32 goal(s) in away matches and Crystal palace conceded 1,21 goal(s) on home ground last season, this is probably reason for high odds for 0-0 in this match as well as Arsenal form is pretty ugly atm...
Last edited by AceJack on Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
showMeDaMoney
Has experience

Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:49 pm

I've created the following spreadsheet that will take the latest 10 matches.
https://ufile.io/n799u

The concept is taken from Peter Webb youtube video
The matches are latest 10 for home side and latest 10 for away team.
I should probably include the latest 5 h2h for home/away but then I've found this mostly irrelevant in football for deciding results. I might chuck it in to see if it makes any difference to outcome

I don't want to go too far back into previous seasons because;
- Squads change, coaches, systems, feelings, money, opposition, league, position

Does your poisson reflect differently when using  latest matches.
Feel free to take a look at the spreadsheet linked, I'm just getting started out, but I'm sure I've messed it up somehow.
Last edited by showMeDaMoney on Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
showMeDaMoney
Has experience

Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:30 pm

I tweaked the spreadsheet algorithm and found the odds are being reflected based on recent history.

So far I managed to pick 10/10 O/U based on 10 selected matches and for a stake of $100.
I would have made $462
But ofcourse I'm sure, once I put real money, it won't work! and I would have lost $400+

Next test is to put some small money and see what happens.
If using Poisson, it could be a good method place this algorithm against O/U value bets.

Return to “Arbing, matched betting and trading talk”