Books

Anything else but gambling
CharlieSheen99
Pro
ProProProPro

Books

Wed May 24, 2017 8:38 pm

Hi guys,

For a while already I've been wanting to read some good books about negotiation skills / communication skills / how power-hierarchy is established, exercised and obtained/lost/maintained between people, etc. I know these are different, yet related, subjects, and of course extremely wide ones, but any advice on good material will be very appreciated. I'd rather take smart people's advice than pick some random books myself ;)

Thanks.
arbusers
Administrator
AdministratorAdministratorAdministratorAdministratorAdministrator

Re: Books

Fri May 26, 2017 7:38 pm

Most probably my answer will not cover your needs, but I think it worths taking a look.
1st step, I suggest you start with Carlo Cipolla's book ''The basic laws of Human stupidity''. IMO, this is the best book written ever because if your brain starts thinking like this automatically, you will be able to at least understand every situation that you live. At a later stage, depending on your capabilities you will be able to capitalise this knowledge. Cipolla wrote some other books as well, but they will not help you in your case, if you are only looking for negotiations.
2nd step, you should study as more games as you can in the game theory. If you understand these games you will understand when a situation is on your favor or not. Read some games here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_g ... ame_theory
3rd step, the one that you will not like, is go for an MBA. There are a couple good MBA's in the UK plus some others in continental Europe. There you will meet people of negotiation and they will present case studies, ranging from the Cuba missiles crisis to the ridiculous negotiation of Tsipras/Varoufakis with the EU. A detailed study will benefit you.
4th step is study Thucydides. Try finding a good translation of his books in your language. Some of the meanings are understood correctly only in Greek language, but a good translation will give you at least 95% of the core. Thucydides is studied in depth in all serious military academies. Surprisingly, the Greeks insist not to teach it in their own military academy...no question why they are bankrupted.

There is something else that nobody will teach you now. This is a mentality and a behaviour of how to protect your individual interests, given to you by your parents. This is very sensitive and cant be described easily.

I hope i helped.
arbusers
Administrator
AdministratorAdministratorAdministratorAdministratorAdministrator

Mon May 29, 2017 7:35 pm

CharlieSheen99 wrote:
4th Step: I never heard of this author. I will take a look in internet.
Hey, if you have never heard of Thucydides you have a lot to learn.
Last edited by arbusers on Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
JamesMiller
Gaining experience
Gaining experience

Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:44 pm

Definitely. By the way, did you know the fact that Allison coined? He coined the term 'Thucydides Trap' to describe the idea that when one great power is rising it will inevitably threaten to displace the established power, consistently resulting in war

Return to “Rest Area”