RebelBetting - Turn betting into investing

Is this an arb? What is this? (Tennis)

Ask anything about smart gambling
Moth
Gaining experience
Gaining experience

Is this an arb? What is this? (Tennis)

Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:31 pm

Okay, so this really confused the hell out of me.

I'm working on a review for MathBet, where I found this rather large returning arb. Now, I like to keep my eye on the ones with greater than 10% profit so I can see how quickly odds are shifted amongst them or if the odds listed were a palpable mistake on the book's side. That's how I encountered this ---

^^^^^ What's going on here?

This one, threw me for quite a loop. I'll start out by saying I know and understand very little about tennis betting except for the more straightforward match winner style betting most everyone has probably done...
To me though, this doesn't even appear to be an arb at all... and by the time I got around to being able to investigate it, betting had closed so I still have no idea what was going on here..

To me, I understand the setup here to look this, in terms of outcomes:
- The match will comprise of 3 sets OR
- Nishikori will play 0 sets OR
- Raonic will play 0 sets

But is that actually even a legitimate arb? Or am I just plain wrong in my interpretation?
Furthermore, this arb is made up of 3 bets at the same bookie.. Should it have been avoided anyway for that reason? Is it even possible that a single bookie can present a 30% arb, on their own like this (without another bookie on another side) and even if it is, is it even worth considering to bet on?

Does anyone understand tennis to be able to explain what's going on here, or is this utter nonsense from a glitch somewhere?
Attachments
what_the_hell_am_i_looking_at_here.png
Last edited by Moth on Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kapetan1122
To become a Pro
To become a ProTo become a ProTo become a Pro

Re: Is this an arb? What is this? (Tennis)

Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:41 pm

First of all this is grand slam and it is played in max of 5 sets(not 3 like on normal turnaments) so what if match finish 3:2 like it was yesterday?
Moth
Gaining experience
Gaining experience

Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:32 pm

kapetan1122 wrote: First of all this is grand slam and it is played in max of 5 sets(not 3 like on normal turnaments) so what if match finish 3:2 like it was yesterday?
I know in any event this arb has expired... I'm just trying to understand if this even was a legitimate arb, and how, or if we're looking at total nonsense here...
I'm looking over this for a review, I just didn't want to post something in my review along the lines of "this is an error, watch out for this kind of thing" if this in fact was not an error and made perfect sense to somebody who knew a lot more on Tennis rules.

MaxShalamar wrote: I see it's listed as US Open Women which would be 3 sets but those two are dudes and there are 6 possible outcomes missing (both 3-0s, both 3-1s and both 3-2s)
I was thinking along that line, too.. I hadn't noticed the sex change/wrong league, though!  ::)
ppintaluba
Pro
ProProProPro

Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:25 pm

If it was an arb (let's say if it was a three sets match), odds would be clearly wrong and some of your bets would be voided.
An arb on one only book cannot be played.
Smart Bet Tracker
www.smartbettracker.com

Return to “Newbie's questions”