RebelBetting - Turn betting into investing

The Darren Woods case

Anything else but gambling
arbusers
Administrator
AdministratorAdministratorAdministratorAdministratorAdministrator

The Darren Woods case

Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:17 am

I’m sure that you all remember the Andrei Osipau case who was jailed for online gambling fraud. The guy used almost 5900 fake IDs in order to abuse bonuses from bookmakers and was identified when an online betting company received two UK passports bearing different names but the same image within 12 minutes of each other. You can read more about this case here: plumstead-man-andrei-osipau-jailed-for- ... raud-t645/
Now there is another case shocking poker communities. Darren Woods, the 2011 WSOP bracelet winner, pled guilty in a Sheffield Court to charges on nine counts of fraud. Woods admitted that he had registered and play online poker under different identities. According to the police report: "Darren Woods, opened accounts with a number of gambling companies using the details of friends and family, which included his mother and his father, who became his co-defendant. Counts one to eight on the indictment reflected the opening of the gambling accounts in those third-party names."
Woods took full advantage of his scheme as "the huge amount of monies moved through the accounts enabled each account to benefit from bonuses from Skrill but also meant that Woods obtained commission fees also." It is also stated that Woods opened his poker accounts through affiliate links that belonged to him and like this he earned commission from 2 or 3 poker companies.
If you search in poker forums a little bit, you will find the tactic used by Woods in order to win money from the other players sitting in the same table like him. You will also find the action taken by those who lost money in order to go after Woods. Since we are not a poker forum I will not elaborate on this.
Whatever the case is, it is obvious that a UK court decided that the use of multiple IDs is an illegal thing, even if they belong to your mother or father. I suppose that mothers and fathers are handing the right to play to sons, but the court didn’t accept this. Woods father is accused for money laundering.
Thordin
Totally Pro
Totally ProTotally ProTotally ProTotally ProTotally Pro

Re: The Darren Woods case

Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:34 am

All that involved affiliate commissions from skrill and the poker sites themselves.
Kind of like bonus abusing in sports betting terms i believe
arbusers
Administrator

Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:53 am

Thordin wrote: All that involved affiliate commissions from skrill and the poker sites themselves.
This is part of the case. The guy sucked big amounts from people that were playing in the same table.
Thordin
Totally Pro
Totally ProTotally ProTotally ProTotally ProTotally Pro

Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:17 am

Arbusers wrote:
Thordin wrote: All that involved affiliate commissions from skrill and the poker sites themselves.
This is part of the case. The guy sucked big amounts from people that were playing in the same table.
Let me get this straight.
Did the guy open like 4 accounts in his family names, sat them all 4 together on the same table and started moving money between one another?
And that involved a profit despite of the rake?
arbusers
Administrator

Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:39 am

I dont want to elaborate in this, you could google a little bit or visit twoplustwo. My take is that he was sitting on a table with 2-3 of his accounts waiting for the sucker to come. When the sucker came all accounts collaborated so one of them would win whatever was on the table. The profit came from the sucker, and the affiliate schemes. Many posts say that it wasnt only relatives, but friends as well.
yo
yorkjoss

Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:42 am

this is the scariest thing I have ever read as an arber, I have now read several reports on this and some of them are saying
he is being charged with multi accounting, and will go to jail for this, as I said scary, I hope it becomes clearer when he is sentenced

just exactly what is he being sentenced for, is it for fraud against fellow poker players? is it for fraud against skrill? is it for fraud against bookmakers? or is he guily of "multi accounting" and going to jail purely for that.

there is something about his dad making up i.d's but why would he have to do that? but that would make it similar to the earlier
case of the guy with thousand of i.d's, this is what i've read so if "false documents" were used then that would put an entirely different slant on it....I hope

"Both Woods and his father had originally pleaded not guilty. His father even came out with the gem that although he provided his son with false documents, he never considered that he would use them for anything illegal"
Last edited by yorkjoss on Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
arbusers
Administrator

Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:56 am

yorkjoss wrote: just exactly what is he being sentenced for, is it for fraud against fellow poker players? is it for fraud against skrill? is it for fraud against bookmakers? or is he guily of "multi accounting" and going to jail purely for that.
Or maybe all of them? He pled guilty for 9 counts of fraud. I read elsewhere that one of them was false representation. Anything goes under this general term.
yo
yorkjoss

Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:03 am

a bit more reading tells me he has been convicted of "fraud by false representation" so for this to happen to an arber then
a bookmaker would have to report the arber to the police claiming that they are a victim of fraudulent activities by making bets
in another person's name and somehow manipulating the market, there are new laws coming into force in the UK next month
which have been brought about by "match fixing" and cover more than just match fixing for instance cheating at poker is covered in this law so realistically they can encompass other loosely related betting activities.

this is a worrying development for a UK arber,
cortomaltese
Pro
ProProProPro

Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:13 am

The way i see it , only defence against this maybe would be taking a declaration signed by your friend that he agrees to bet on his account
Last edited by cortomaltese on Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
arbusers
Administrator

Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:15 am

Arbitrage and trading is not a criminal activity. Using other people's ID is.
In some pages I read that Woods used fake IDs, in some other I read only friends and relatives, but i dont see any discrimination between real and fake IDs in the decision of the court.
Next court on Woods will be December 17th. Hopefully more info will come out.
arbusers
Administrator

Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:18 am

cortomaltese wrote: The way i see it , only defence against this maybe would be taking a declaration signed by your friend that he agrees to bet on his account
I suppose that Woods could take this declaration from his friends and relatives, but this didnt help him at all.
dr
drhoo

Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:42 am

chip dumping is a serious offense... perhaps this is how they caught him?
arbusers
Administrator

Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:21 pm

The Woods conviction is based on the ''old laws''. Let me remind you that the new law might be in force by tomorrow, November the 1st.
You have to believe me with this. I met a number of bookmakers managers. I dont know the correct number but during these last years it must be more than 100. Only 1-2 knew our forum. Even Betfair managers dont know arbusers and they also dont pay attention when I m trying to explain that this community deserves something better. (in terms of deals, commission rates etc)
Of course, a limited number of bookmakers might visit arbusers, as it is an open to all forum. But what more could they do than limit your accounts with them? I suppose that they dont have to read arbusers when you take a 3% arb.
arbusers
Administrator

Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:25 pm

drhoo wrote: chip dumping is a serious offense... perhaps this is how they caught him?
He is a WSOP winner. This is an amateur's mistake. I insist that if you search in 2plus2 you ll finf the whole story as it is recorded by those who lost money from him. It is very interesting.
sportoboy
Has experience
Has experienceHas experience

Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:49 pm

I was writing something like a 1000 words post, but chrome crashed and I don't have the patience to re-write everything  :D

In short:

- Darren Woods is a fraudster, no doubt about it. 

- It's a poorly reported case by the media, so some details may be wrong or incomplete. Also, "friends" are reported to claim they their identities were stolen. That might make a huge difference in judge's reasoning behind it.

- His main fraud was that he defrauded other people in poker tables. Having 3 of your own accounts at a 4-seat poker table at high stakes multiplies your chances of winning. Winning big. It's not chip dumping, it's a lot worse. I'd say it equals fixing a soccer game. It is also very easy to prove.

- Skrill benefited a lot from his action, as he generated commissions for them by transacting. I guess that the greed for wanting the whole cake and the urge to show they are a "responsible UK company" made Skrill an opponent to this case. I would probably do the same in their shoes. But I'm not and I feel the need to say a big "F*k off" Skrill.

- Using multiple id's isn't a fraud for starters if you have authorisation by the id to use its details. If you clearly breach terms in the process like Woods did, it's a different story. In fact, there are terms that indirectly allow you to use an account under a different person's name.
Check bet365's B2.2 and B.2.4 terms:
2.2 Bets will stand if your username and password have been entered correctly (whether or not authorised by you), subject to there being sufficient funds in the account.
2.4 If you nominate another person as an authorised user of your account, you shall be responsible for all transactions such person makes using the relevant account details.

This is used mainly to exclude the option of a customer to claim that someone else placed the bets and request for a refund, but it can't work both ways, i.e. there is no term forbidding (in fact it seems to be something accepted) the use of the account from a different person (as this would exactly lead to such cases for refunds imo).

Other bookmakers have similar terms too.
Last edited by sportoboy on Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Rest Area”