BetBurger | Live and Pre-game surebets
RebelBetting - Turn betting into investing

Do you sometimes wait for line movement to increase your Arb?

Make bookmakers cash cow machines
barnstorm
Has experience
Has experienceHas experience

Sat Aug 13, 2016 2:26 pm

Sometimes the line is clearly moving in your favor, so do you put the soft bet in and wait and see if you can do better with the steam? Or is that "gambling?"

If you do, what Books are best to watch for early and leading line movement, so you can see if you should wait for an even better number or grab your number now? Is Pinnacle the first to move?

Thanks!
NXV
Gaining experience
Gaining experience

Re: Do you sometimes wait for line movement to increase your Arb?

Sat Aug 13, 2016 2:41 pm

if you knwo what you are doing, than it's trading. but if you don't, than it's gambling ;)
luctens
To become a Pro
To become a ProTo become a ProTo become a Pro

Sat Aug 13, 2016 2:42 pm

barnstorm wrote: Do you sometimes wait for line movement to increase your Arb?

Sometimes the line is clearly moving in your favor, so do you put the soft bet in and wait and see if you can do better with the steam? Or is that "gambling?"

If you do, what Books are best to watch for early and leading line movement, so you can see if you should wait for an even better number or grab your number now? Is Pinnacle the first to move?

Thanks!
What you are suggesting isn't arbing and it isn't outright gambling, it is in the middle of the risk spectrum as it is trading.

The line might be moving in your favour but it doesn't mean it won't move against you in the next few minutes and wipe out the arb and even leave you with a loss. If you have a good arb that you can make profit from and you are risking that by seeing if you can eek out further profits by seeing if the line moves further in your favour, in my view that is an unnecessary risk. I'm in this for profits that are as risk free as possible and for me, waiting for the line to move when you already have a good arb is an unnecessary risk.

Each person has a different appetite for risk so before you go any further, you need to decide whether you want to be an as risk free as possible arber or a risk/reward trader, as being somewhere in the middle is likely to muddle your thinking and you probably won't be as successful as you should be or successful at all so you need to have a set approach on whether you take an arb if it's there, or if you take the risk of seeing if the line moves further in your favour whilst having the chance that the line moves against you.
Last edited by luctens on Sat Aug 13, 2016 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alfa1234
Totally Pro
Totally ProTotally ProTotally ProTotally ProTotally Pro

Sat Aug 13, 2016 2:47 pm

When you gain experience, you'll learn to "read" these moves and will get a feel for them.  This increases my profit a lot but it takes time to be able to predict how far a line will really move.  Knowing what caused the move will also help.
barnstorm
Has experience

Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:02 pm

Thanks, I agree that once you decide to wait for a line to move, then you are trading.

But if you have a slow moving book, you might be able to watch the other quicker Books to see just when and if the line begins to correct and move against you and quickly place and complete your Arb bet with the slower Book.

What Books would you watch as being on the leading edge of line changes? Pinnacle? BetCris? Bet365? Ladbrokes? 5Dimes is actually pretty quick. 1xBet and Marathon are aggressive with their line moves, but are kind of outliers.
AceJack
Has experience

Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:40 pm

barnstorm wrote: Thanks, I agree that once you decide to wait for a line to move, then you are trading.

But if you have a slow moving book, you might be able to watch the other quicker Books to see just when and if the line begins to correct and move against you and quickly place and complete your Arb bet with the slower Book.

What Books would you watch as being on the leading edge of line changes? Pinnacle? BetCris? Bet365? Ladbrokes? 5Dimes is actually pretty quick. 1xBet and Marathon are aggressive with their line moves, but are kind of outliers.
I would say if there is crazy action on betfair / smarkets --> wait with your arb and untill the market has slowed down ..  then place your bet at betfair/smarkets

Return to “Arbing, matched betting and trading talk”