Continuous Scrape vs. Betfair API

Ask anything about smart gambling
BeterBet
Gaining experience
Gaining experience

Continuous Scrape vs. Betfair API

Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:59 pm

Dear co-arbers,

For some time now, I have been using my own odds scraper/arb scanner to see and exploit opportunities. It is pretty nice to see that it works, but I face a couple of problems:
  1. Liquidity - e.g. I want to make my bets bigger
  2. Speed - e.g. it takes some time to place a bet
  3. Continuity - e.g. I can only scrape one match at a time
Due to these challenges, I have been considering my next moves. Arguably, all three problems could be solved by using my strategy on the Betfair API, but I have no experience in trading on an exchange. As I have come across a couple of arbitrages at a single bookmaker, I would expect that such opportunities also exist on the bet-exchange... but I have no idea. Does any of you have experience in (profitably) arbing solely on the betting exchange? Is this even allowed? Also, is their API worthwhile to learn?

On the other side, I could also focus a bit more on expanding my selection of bookmakers to include a couple of somewhat bigger bookmakers and think of adding more continuity to my already existing scraping practice. This has the benefit that it would be less time-consuming (as I already have a big chunk of work done here), but would bring about the hassle of dealing with Bookmakers, having money all over the place and still being too slow sometimes to place a bet.

I would really value some insights from the pros on the above dilemma. As I see it now, the Betfair API could be a very good way to go.... but I just don't know yet how profitable arbing on only the exchange can be. I do believe in my being able to trade with speed though.

Thank you very much.
Bubbles
To become a Pro
To become a ProTo become a ProTo become a Pro

Re: Continuous Scrape vs. Betfair API

Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:11 pm

There are more bots than punters on exchanges nowadays so there must be opportunities :) Having said that most of them is there to exploit trading or arbing opportunities with books. Arbs within  exchange exist (cross markets) but are few and far between plus I'm sure few skilful ppl already exploit them leaving little behind.

Return to “Newbie's questions”