how to deal with void bets

Ask anything about smart gambling
karaya
Gaining experience
Gaining experience

how to deal with void bets

Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:44 pm

hello all

if one bet is voided should how should i proceed to limit losses, should i bet again at the given price?
ppintaluba
Pro
ProProProPro

Re: how to deal with void bets

Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:03 pm

Normally yes. If not, you are gambling. That's ok too if you think your running bet has value. But if that's the case you should be able find another bet to cover the opposite result (either another arb or a small loss). If you don't find and arb or a small loss, then your bet probably has no value and it makes no sense to let it alone.
Smart Bet Tracker
www.smartbettracker.com
NedlogViiibes
Gaining experience
Gaining experience

Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:37 pm

ppintaluba wrote: Normally yes. If not, you are gambling. That's ok too if you think your running bet has value. But if that's the case you should be able find another bet to cover the opposite result (either another arb or a small loss). If you don't find and arb or a small loss, then your bet probably has no value and it makes no sense to let it alone.
Shouldn't we only talk about the risk we are willing to take here?

If you can't find an arb or a small loss, then yes - your bet probably don't hold value. But making another bet with minus value doesn't help that.
ppintaluba
Pro
ProProProPro

Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:45 am

It's been quiet here. Let's see some examples.

There are 3 original arbs (2.44%). Arb A) with similar odds, arb B) with one favorite side and arb C) with a big favorite.
One bet is voided and we can get a cover bet with lower odds. It turns the original arb into a negative arb (-1.65%)
In which cases would you cover your bets, or let it run?

Now, the same three arbs, but we only can get a cover bet turning into a negative arb (-8.7%)

Smart Bet Tracker
www.smartbettracker.com
Trevorr
Has experience
Has experienceHas experience

Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:45 am

There is no point making -EV bet to cover. You just lose money making it in long term. But of course if your bet is big compare to your bankroll then you need cover to survive.
Alfa1234
Totally Pro
Totally ProTotally ProTotally ProTotally ProTotally Pro

Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:33 am

Having some peace of mind by covering (after all, if you are arbing you are doing it to avoid gambling), also has some worth. 

On top of that, take into consideration the number of voids is very limited, so even if you have a bigger -EV by covering instead of just letting it run, the variance (due to low number of bets voided) would be huge.  We are not talking about doing 10k bets per year here like value betting.  You could just as easily end up with 100% of those bets lost as 100% of those bets won so I don't think the long term EV should be taken something that's to be taken into consideration here much.
ppintaluba
Pro
ProProProPro

Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:11 am

In my image I would cover bets a1, a2, b1, b2, c1, c2, d1, d2, e2, f2. Not sure about e1. I probably wouldn't cover f1.
Last edited by ppintaluba on Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Smart Bet Tracker
www.smartbettracker.com

Return to “Newbie's questions”