The World Cup Contest 2018

Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: The World Cup Contest 2018  (Read 4211 times)
ppintaluba
Totally Pro

View Profile WWW

ppintaluba

The World Cup Contest 2018
« on: May 12, 2018, 06:28:00 PM »

Hello arbusers community.

I am Pablo from Smart Bet Tracker (http://www.smartbettracker.com)
As old-timers might remember we organized the World Cup Contest, for Brazil World Cup in 2014.

We have just launched the World Cup Contest 2018 edition.

Let me tell you the basics:

You must subscribe to the contest
You must pay a small "buy-in" (USD 50). Almost the whole buy-in will go to the prize pot. 10% will be used to cover costs.
You must place your predictions (final score) for all matches in the World Cup
You will earn credits based on each match result and your predictions.
Participants will be ranked based on their credits
Best ranked participants will win the pot. Prizes and number of winners will depend on the number of participants.

The web application will manage everything automatically. 

To learn more and to participate, visit http://www.theworldcupcontest.com
In particular, check the rules and the help page where everything is explained.

We want this contest to be fun. That's the main motivation. We like betting and we like developing software. We have build a nice web application with information about the world cup, groups and teams, cities and venues, the match calendar, etc.

But we also expect the prize to be significantly greater than the "buy-in". In example, with just 32 participants, the winner will get more than 10 times the subscription cost, and 10 people will have prizes (descending value, always more than the "buy-in"). But let's hope we reach much more than that. Right now the pot is just USD 180, but it will be growing until June 14th. In 2014 40 people participated and the winner took USD 630 home. Another 9 people won a few bucks (USD 450, USD 162, USD 108, USD 90 and 4 x USD 72)

And last but not least, if two participants have the same number of credits the one who confirmed its subscription earlier will be better ranked than the other. So why don't you subscribe right now?  :D

http://www.theworldcupcontest.com

Privacy is a key feature
  • No personal information is displayed. Just the username and country.
  • We will just show information regarding this contest which includes the paid buy in, the position, credits awarded, current prize, and the date the participant confirmed his subscription.
  • Predictions are private. Only you can see your predictions while predictions for a match are still available. This means nobody can copy your predictions.
Transparency is a key feature
  • Everybody can see at any time the number of users who have paid the buy in, and the total prize. This information is available even for non subscribers
  • Everybody can see at any time the list of all users who have paid the buy in, the current ranking and the prize for each participant. This information is available even for non subscribers.
  • Predictions are public once a match does not allow more predictions. All participants can check predictions of other participants. This is only allowed for each match where prediction period has ended. This means every participant can check all predictions (before matches end) and control that rankings are accurate.

Smart Bet Tracker
www.smartbettracker.com
DPG
Has experience

View Profile

DPG

Re: The World Cup Contest 2018
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2018, 10:34:18 PM »

I have found the last few world cups deadly boring. Players too scared to play in case they make a mistake and plenty of drab matches in the group stages. Knock out stage matches even worse and ultimately decided on penalty shoot outs after no score draws. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

It seems to have become tiresome to me because they have expanded the number of teams involved and there are too many useless sides involved.
ppintaluba
Totally Pro

View Profile WWW

ppintaluba

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2018, 10:38:57 PM »

Maybe you could use this in your favor. Just bet 0-0 and other low score results and see how it works.
It might be a good strategy  ;)

Smart Bet Tracker
www.smartbettracker.com
DPG
Has experience

View Profile

DPG

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2018, 08:58:16 AM »

The world cup should be banned. Who really wants to watch Egypt against Saudi Arabia, Iran against Morocco, Peru against Australia, Tunisia against Panama etc? It's as boring and pointless as the champions league group stages.
yjsr28
Gaining experience

View Profile

yjsr28

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2018, 09:49:00 PM »

But you also have Argentina vs Croatia, Portugal vs Spain or Germany vs Mexico...I guess I rather see the glass half full  ;D
ppintaluba
Totally Pro

View Profile WWW

ppintaluba

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2018, 02:42:17 PM »

Hello.
Just a quick update.
The prize is now USD 585. Really low but growing slowly.
Two final weeks to participate!
Join here: http://www.theworldcupcontest.com

Smart Bet Tracker
www.smartbettracker.com
ppintaluba
Totally Pro

View Profile WWW

ppintaluba

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2018, 01:42:46 PM »

USD 765 now
Good luck.

Smart Bet Tracker
www.smartbettracker.com
ppintaluba
Totally Pro

View Profile WWW

ppintaluba

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2018, 04:05:52 PM »

The World Cup is around the corner.
The World Cup Contest pot is USD 945 now, and I guess it will keep growing during the next 3 days. Most people wait till last minute. It's human nature.

• Subscribe to the contest
  • Pay entry fee (USD 50)
  • Place your predictions (final score) for World Cup matches

Basic rules:
You can place predictions until 1 hour before each game. You can also change them as many times as you want up to this moment.
Only regular time (plus stoppage time) counts. 30 minutes extra time and penalties are not considered.
You will earn credits based on each match result and your predictions. Only one (the best) of these rules will apply:
  • Exact score: 4 credits
  • Exact victory margin: 3 credits
  • Winner and one team goals: 3 credits
  • Winner: 2 credits
  • One team goals: 1 credit
  • Otherwise: 0 credits

Participants will be ranked based on their credits, in descending order.
Best ranked participants will win the pot. The pot is 90% of all entry fees so that we cover costs.
Prizes and number of winners will depend on the number of participants:
  • up to 29 participants: 3 winners (50% | 35% | 15%)
  • from 30 to 99 participant: 10 winners (35% | 25% | 9% | 6% | 5% | 5 x 4%)
  • from 100 to 499 participants: 25 winners (25% | 15% | 8% | 5% | 4% | 5 x 3% | 5 x 2% | 10 x 1.8%)
  • from 500 to 999 participants: 40 winners (20% | 12% | 7% | 4.5% | 3% | 5 x 2.5% | 5 x 1.75% | 10 x 1.5% | 15 x 1.15%)
  • from 1000 participants: 80 winners (15% | 10% | 6% | 4% | 2.5% | 5 x 2% | 5 x 1.5% | 10 x 1.4% | 15 x 1% | 40 x 0.4%)

In 2014 we reached 40 participants and 10 winners took USD 1.800.

Good luck.

Smart Bet Tracker
www.smartbettracker.com
DPG
Has experience

View Profile

DPG

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2018, 05:54:07 PM »

The football world cup is one of the most boring sporting events on the planet. You should do a wimbledon tennis contest or a cricket world cup contest or even a ping pong competition.

The football world cup is a complete bore fest. By the time the group stages finish everyone has already fallen asleep and then you get the countless 0-0 bore draws followed by penalty shoot outs in the knock out phase. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
ppintaluba
Totally Pro

View Profile WWW

ppintaluba

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2018, 01:37:37 AM »

Quick update. The pot is now USD 1.125
Time is running out.
Subscribe and good luck!

www.theworldcupcontest.com

Smart Bet Tracker
www.smartbettracker.com
ppintaluba
Totally Pro

View Profile WWW

ppintaluba

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2018, 12:28:17 AM »

Current pot: USD 1,260.
Many people still to confirm. Hope they do it and the prize keeps growing.
Good luck to everyone who´s playing.

Smart Bet Tracker
www.smartbettracker.com
ppintaluba
Totally Pro

View Profile WWW

ppintaluba

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2018, 01:55:04 PM »

Last 60 minutes if you don’t wanna miss the first game (even if it’s so boring as DPG insists  ;) )

Usd 1,485 now.

Smart Bet Tracker
www.smartbettracker.com
jeffjeremy

View Profile

jeffjeremy

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2018, 10:51:16 AM »

;)
ppintaluba
Totally Pro

View Profile WWW

ppintaluba

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2018, 02:51:43 AM »

The World Cup has ended and so The World Cup Contest.
Prizes have been paid.

These are the 10 winners:

This is their ranking evolution:

See you in Qatar 2022.

Smart Bet Tracker
www.smartbettracker.com
ODDS4STATS
Gaining experience

View Profile

ODDS4STATS

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2018, 08:28:31 AM »

Thanks for the opportunity, it was a great competition and congratulations to the first place winner (Zazoo).
I started as the O4S owner under the name issey76 and of course, I wanted to reach the first place, but in the last 5 rounds, I practically did the same bets so I could not take the lead from my opponent.
My strategy was simple, examining the past 3 world cups based on statistics, possibly looking for the most popular results and their probabilities in events.
Some statistics from my own results:

Out of 62 bets, I had 10 correct scores, those would total 93.00 points on Bet365 closing odds, which is exactly equivalent to 50.00% ROI.

I made a huge mistake because unfortunately, I could not place the bet on 2 events, I paid for my fault :)

Thanks for the game, it was fun!
Pages: [1] 2
Print