RebelBetting - Turn betting into investing

Ireland to double gambling taxes

Share ideas and experience on bookmakers. Search before starting any account
arbusers
Administrator
AdministratorAdministratorAdministratorAdministratorAdministrator

Ireland to double gambling taxes

Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:32 am

Ireland is about to double bookmakers’ gambling taxes, while online betting exchanges are also facing steep hikes in commissions.
The Irish government confirmed yesterday its will to double gambling tax from 1% of sports and race betting turnover to 2%. Betting exchanges also will see their tax rise from 15% of commission to 25% from Irish punters.
Both changes will take effect on January 1, 2019.
arbusers
Administrator

Re: Ireland to double gambling taxes

Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:56 am

It is now official. The Irish government announced a doubling of betting duty to 2% of turnover in its 2019 Budget (with exchange duty increasing by two-thirds to 25%) – effective from 1 January 2019.
Gambling sector of Ireland is in a state of shock as many failed to predict such a development. Job cuts and probably change of citizenship among scenarios that bookmakers study.
peny22
Has experience
Has experienceHas experience

Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:09 pm

I understand correctly that players playing for example in paddypower will be supported by 25% commission for each winning bet?.
dealer wins
Totally Pro
Totally ProTotally ProTotally ProTotally ProTotally Pro

Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:23 pm

Is the world just becoming full of governments that want to tax everything 10 times.

We already pay tax on what we earn, then when we spend our money we pay tax again and again.
Never trust a goose!!!
arbusers
Administrator

Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:48 am

OK guys we have a ray of light here.
A number of bookmakers including a well know UK high street bookmaker is lobbying hard for the cancellation of the new tax. Some managers say that they are ready to ''leave Ireland and close all or most of the shops in the country''.
Last week, the press reported that Paschal Donohoe, the Irish Minister for Finance, plans to conduct a review of the tax impact on the betting sector.
Let's hope they take the wisest decision that should be examined in accordance to the ongoing story of Brexit.
MalleMax
Gaining experience
Gaining experience

Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:59 am

All these tax stories started with the former German Minister of Finance. He messed up the whole betting industry. In addition, states such as Spain, etc. were put under pressure by Germany, as otherwise EU funds would be canceled. At the moment I live in Germany and believe me, it is the most anti-social country in the world.
campeones
To become a Pro
To become a ProTo become a ProTo become a Pro

Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:02 am

As far as it concerns exchanges (betfair matchbook etc) tax on betting commissions was supposed to rise from 15% to 25% under the October budget plan. Do we have any news on that?
arbusers
Administrator

Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:11 pm

campeones wrote: As far as it concerns exchanges (betfair matchbook etc) tax on betting commissions was supposed to rise from 15% to 25% under the October budget plan. Do we have any news on that?
No specific news on that.
MalleMax wrote: All these tax stories started with the former German Minister of Finance. He messed up the whole betting industry. In addition, states such as Spain, etc. were put under pressure by Germany, as otherwise EU funds would be canceled. At the moment I live in Germany and believe me, it is the most anti-social country in the world.
I doubt this is Schäuble's job.

Return to “Bookies discussion”