RebelBetting - Turn betting into investing

Monte Carlo simulation to predict expected profit

Ask anything about smart gambling
AlexNotman1
Pro
ProProProPro

Monte Carlo simulation to predict expected profit

Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:10 am

I noticed quite few questions about being breakeven valuebetting only after decent number of bets so I started looking for a way to predict expected profit after particular number of bets. That must be possible and I don't even doubt it. I started digging about Monte Carlo simulatios as I read it may be useful for that kind of calculations. Anyone with idea how to make such simulations? I mean something which looks like this one (17.53 for example):

phpBB [video]

I'm crap about Excel, even basic stuff not even talking about more complicated formulas, would take me ages to find out how to build such simulation.

The idea is, as abovementioned, to build formula where we could input some data like: our average +EV, number of bets placed (let's assume we talk about flat stake of 1 unit each bet) to calculate what are chances to achieve particular profit after - let's say - 1000 bets.

I'm sure that tool would be extreme useful for community as these questions about expected profit comes up frequently lately but I just dont know how to do it. Anyone smarter if we talk about Excel/programming?
dealer wins
Totally Pro
Totally ProTotally ProTotally ProTotally ProTotally Pro

Re: Monte Carlo simulation to predict expected profit

Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:41 am

Variance takes longer than a 1000 bets to even out, and you could experience wild deviations either positive or negative.  After 50000 bets it would be more closer to expected, and after a million bets it should be bang on the expected value.
Never trust a goose!!!
AlexNotman1
Pro
ProProProPro

Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:03 am

1000 bets was just an example. I know how variance works. All I need are numbers what can I expect. I asked similar questions before and this is what I got: "1000 bets is too small sample etc etc". Allright, everyone with some experience know that and this is not the issue. I'm asking about exact percentages having fixed, average +EV after particular number of bets. I know that if there is - let's say - 95% to earn 5 units after 1000 bets with 5% +EV (or even 99%) it's not sure thing but cmon guys, if you can help, post some advices not "1000 bet's its not enough". It looks like no one can answer this question but there are always a lot of of people commenting. I searched internet all over and all I got was Monte Carlo, weird that no one can make such tool or formula or I can't search properly.
Last edited by AlexNotman1 on Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
pythonic
Gaining experience
Gaining experience

Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:17 am

Monte Carlo simulations are actually pretty straightforward to implement but depend on what exactly you want to simulate.
You write a loop with numbers from a random number generator in the programming language of your choice and count the results.
You just need to understand the concept well and know how to apply it on your problem.
Wolfie
Totally Pro

Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:48 pm

Graphic in photo below is for 4% EV , 100000 simulations.
Attachments
monte carlo simulations.png
AlexNotman1
Pro
ProProProPro

Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:57 pm

I guess this is pretty close to what I was looking for, thanks Wolfie. But what Frequency means? Shouldn't be achieved profit on the left side? Is if variance in percentages? Btw. what about odds? From what I know higher odds = higher variance. So shouldn't be odds implemented there?
Last edited by AlexNotman1 on Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wolfie
Totally Pro

Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:05 pm

AlexNotman1 wrote: I guess this is pretty close to what I was looking for, thanks Wolfie. But what Frequency means? Shouldn't be achieved profit on the left side?
For example in 15210 bets graphic:
Frequency 3% means 3% of simulations resulted in exactly 4% yield.
Wolfie
Totally Pro

Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:21 pm

The graphic is for the purpose of skepticism on our way of finding value. For example if your Expected Value is +4% and after 1521 bets you have a yield lower than -2% than you should worry. If you have a yield lower than -6% than your way of finding value is definitely wrong. This is for random odds.

Return to “Newbie's questions”