Denied a £4 million Lotto win to call police for refusing to pay

Anything else but gambling
arbusers
Administrator
AdministratorAdministratorAdministratorAdministratorAdministrator

Denied a £4 million Lotto win to call police for refusing to pay

Tue May 07, 2019 1:56 pm

What a story!
We have seen people getting friends accounts to bet online...but...scratchcards? Really?

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/friends-denied-4-million-lotto-14739838
dealer wins
Totally Pro
Totally ProTotally ProTotally ProTotally ProTotally Pro

Re: Denied a £4 million Lotto win to call police for refusing to pay

Tue May 07, 2019 2:07 pm

Too bloody right.  He is a dirty career criminal with at least 38 convictions, and they bought the scratchcard using a stolen debit card.  Im glad they are receiving nothing.  Much better it goes to charity!!
Never trust a goose!!!
arbusers
Administrator
AdministratorAdministratorAdministratorAdministratorAdministrator

Tue May 07, 2019 2:23 pm

It is more complicated than this I m afraid. So here is the question: Should the money go to the cardholder, even though he never bought that ticket?

One thing I don't like is that they are both very theatrical, makes me believe that they are determined to lose the 4 million but gain publicity.
Alfa1234
Totally Pro

Tue May 07, 2019 2:49 pm

I say pay the guys.  Say you borrow 10€ from someone, you buy a ticket with the money and afterwards the guy you borrowed the money from claims you stole it, should he get the winning ticket?  It opens up some unwanted floodgates...shouldn't matter how they acquired the money IMHO.  They would not have gotten the money back if the ticket had lost either.  They bought the ticket, they should pay.  The crime of stealing the debit card has nothing to do with the ticket.  My 2c.
Wolfie
Totally Pro

Tue May 07, 2019 3:11 pm

Here are 4 million because someone stole your credit card. Its like saying someone stole from you and bought a pizza. You should eat the pizza. Doesn't make sense to me. The will to buy the ticket was theirs so they should be paid. And than they should be prosecuted if they committed a crime.
risilloch
Has experience
Has experienceHas experience

Tue May 07, 2019 3:48 pm

Alfa1234 wrote: ....  The crime of stealing the debit card has nothing to do with the ticket...
In the UK I imagine the Proceeds of Crime Act 2002 will be applicable if the winning ticket was bought with stolen funds.
jagas
To become a Pro
To become a ProTo become a ProTo become a Pro

Tue May 07, 2019 6:31 pm

i am just imagining, if the card was stolen, why not called the card holder, explain to the person and offer a share of the winnings before hand. i am sure if someone offers me 500k euros for a winning from my stolen card. I will take it without asking how
vinciguerra
Has experience
Has experienceHas experience

Wed May 08, 2019 1:53 am

Wolfie wrote: The will to buy the ticket was theirs so they should be paid. And than they should be prosecuted if they committed a crime.
yeah, it doesn't work that way though. if a drugs lord launders his money through a legal operation, that money can be seized as the proceeds from that operation might be legal, but the source of funds wasn't.  this is the same, the source isn't legal, it's derived from theft. i agree with risilloch, if the debit card really was stolen, it's a total no-brainer under existing law these idiots won't see a penny.
Last edited by vinciguerra on Wed May 08, 2019 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Rest Area”