RebelBetting - Turn betting into investing

Mccann vs Bet365 (How did it settle)

Anything else but gambling
arbusers
Administrator
AdministratorAdministratorAdministratorAdministratorAdministrator

Tue Jan 10, 2023 11:33 am

The Megan McCann vs Bet365 case has an important educational role to play in the smart betting community. Thus, after the abrupt end of the case, it would be beneficial for our community to have the timeline of the story, together with some comments from our members.

Megan McCann, a 19-year-old student from Northern Ireland, staked £24,960 on 12 horses running in four different races, in June 2016. The bets were accepted by the Bet365 bookmaker and eventually produced a stunning return of £984,833. Bet365 refused to pay McCann’s winnings, claiming that her stake was provided by a ''third part''  which is considered a violation of the bookmaker’s terms and conditions. Bet365 also refused to return her initial stake.

McCann reacted in January 2017, by instructing solicitor Andrew Montague to sue Bet365 for her total payout of more than £1million. Montague is considered to be an expert in gambling-related cases. He gained his reputation in 2010 when he successfully challenged a ruling by Gibraltar’s gambling regulator that Betfred could withhold a payout of €852,000 to a well known Irish smart bettor Barney Curley.

According to the media, the development of the case appeared to suggest that Bet365 cooperated with Skrill e-wallet in order to obtain more information on McCann’s actions. That was a major shock for many bettors who couldn’t even imagine that their personal data would be shared with 3rd parties by an e-wallet. Even though it is not clear when Bet365 obtained access to McCann’s information, Bet365 applied for what is called a ‘’Norwich Pharmacal order’’, a court order for the disclosure of information, assisting applicants to bring legal proceedings against individuals who are believed to have wronged them. Skrill didn’t contest the application.

Since Bet365 refused to pay McCann’s winnings since summer 2016, it is not clear to what information Bet365 based its initial decision, leaving space for many interpretations of the facts.

The case has been discontinued in 2019 shortly before it was due to return to court, prompting speculation the parties agreed to a settlement over the disputed bets, according to the press of the time. No further statements were done from any part and the details of the settlement did not go public allowing further speculation.

We can only assume that a live and let live agreement took place between the parties, and that might mean that both parties took a step back, before risking more than their potential gains. The development of the story did not allow us to come to safe conclusions. We will never know if McCann was a lucky winner, a smart bettor like us, or guided by a 3rd party as Bet365 initially implied. The case enjoyed huge publicity, which was negative for Bet365 and Skrill. Data protection issues were highlighted and this case might trigger the amendment of the Terms of Use of many e-wallets and bookmakers. There might be gains for both McCann and Bet365, but the smart betting community can count only losses.
Last edited by arbusers on Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
crowned
Gaining experience
Gaining experience

Re: Mccann vs Bet365 (How did it settle)

Tue Jan 10, 2023 10:17 pm

The only question left to be answered is what % of the profits did McCann, (or the good shepherd) received after the settlement.
All other facts are easily understood by reading between the lines.
neopas
Pro
ProProProPro

Wed Jan 11, 2023 7:01 am

This story is so educative that I would suggest anyone looking to gamble professionally, to start from here.
Wolfie
Totally Pro
Totally ProTotally ProTotally ProTotally ProTotally Pro

Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:37 am

Does anybody know what happened behind the scenes ? How did this settle ?
Last edited by Wolfie on Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
dealer wins
Totally Pro

Wed Jan 11, 2023 12:28 pm

I read somewhere B365 settled for paying out 20% of the original winnings.
Last edited by dealer wins on Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Never trust a goose!!!
Wolfie
Totally Pro

Wed Jan 11, 2023 1:44 pm

So it was not a court order but an agreement. This is nonsense. Something fishy happened here. I am surprised after all this time the court did not take the punter side.

Look at their T&C(photo attached). Suspect(WTF). I will not give you your money because i suspect.
Attachments
Bet365.PNG
Last edited by Wolfie on Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
arbusers
Administrator

Wed Jan 11, 2023 9:42 pm

Whatever figures you see, don't believe a thing.
I m sure there are strong NDAs in place that will not allow any party to reveal how much was paid.
Lessons learned:
Bet365 had very negative publicity with this story. I m sure they now know it was a wrong decision.
Some data protection issues should be treated with care from all enabled parties.
Some of us should keep the name of the lawyer as his experience is now unique.
dealer wins
Totally Pro

Thu Jan 12, 2023 5:30 am

This industry is getting squeezed from both the regulatory side and from the punters side who are becoming sharper (thanks mainly to a lot of spoonfed guides on matched betting etc)

This has created a situation where the books are tightening up big time, on bonuses, on bet limits, on slot and game RTPs, on any possible fraud or multi-accounting, even on punters they suspect are just arbing, to the point of stealing from people.  This industry is heading down a very shady path right now and I dont see it getting any better.
Never trust a goose!!!
Wolfie
Totally Pro

Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:58 pm

We learned from this that even bet365 cannot be trusted about money. And to not put large return bets. Things have a long time going down. I hope it does not come to all becoming 1xbet clones  :P .
The lawyer is specialized in gambling related cases. He is famous for horse racing 3.9 million case against betfred. He won that case.
neopas
Pro
ProProProPro

Fri Jan 13, 2023 2:35 am

I don't believe the industry is turning to an 1xbet clone. Judging from Bet365's profits, I believe others will try to copy it.
arbusers
Administrator

Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:41 pm

Years after that case there are still people studying it.
The way that it ended, was cleverly selected not to create a Res Judicata. A Res Judicata would open the doors to other cases and smart bettors like this. A significant effort is made so the aftermath of the case remains between the 2 parties, Bet365 and who ever Megan Mccann's team.
bankster
Gaining experience
Gaining experience

Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:09 pm

How could someone make videos on Youtube about this case when there is an NDA in place?
su
susie qua

Sun Jan 15, 2023 11:28 am

there is sadly nothing clever to be learned from this that is relevant for the current worldwide gambling scene:

1. don't win £983k from bet365 with a skrill not in your name
2. don't trust skrill not to share your personal data with third parties when it suits their long term business

This case is simple and i'm sure bet365 regretted taking it so far in the public domain, a group of gamblers from within the Irish industry found a long term value in high stakes betting on horse racing with Lucky 15 bets which bet365 also give a bonus to encourage. They used many Ireland bet365 and skrill accounts (allegedly).

They had many losing and winning bets with this method staking 10's of thousands at a time but then they hit and bet365 decided they wouldn't just pay. (it seems)

One of the people who was allegedly part of this group is now out from hiding and making video interviews if you search Anthony Kaminskas on youtube.

Anyway they clearly broke the bookmakers rules and were caught doing so thanks to skrill. What would be more interesting is if there was a case that didn't involve Paysafe and maybe a financial company with a backbone who didn't give away the details of their customers accounts to the bookmakers henchman?
su
susie qua

Sun Jan 15, 2023 11:50 am

there are ways in life of saying things without saying things, many people know who is behind what without saying it
crowned
Gaining experience
Gaining experience

Sun Jan 15, 2023 4:08 pm

This is just a theory I have, but I believe Bet365 pull out from PaySafe is very deeply related to the Megan Mccann case. Obviously, there were some under the table communications and Bet365 was not happy with the results. Bet365 punished PaySafe by pulling out, and we, all the small to mid size smart gambling community are paying the shit of 1 big guy that some people called locust.
Just a theory.

Return to “Rest Area”