Kokos, CFA
Gaining experience
Gaining experience

Re: Covid19 and betting

Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:48 pm

Littletroll1 wrote:
Wolfie wrote:
Littletroll1 wrote:
Sorry, but that's not true. Death rate is only 2.3% overall. And since most of us in here are probably below 50 years, the death rate is only at 0.04%.
You should not be sorry we should be glad if thats not true.
But my data is from here. See closed cases.
Deaths divided by cases which had an outcome.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/?fbclid=IwAR29NTFiyhm4XvMNBrEIdNsPy_tD44RFWMAT1HA63AO62yB8FMaJJPtMAKI
You can't use the number under closed cases, as it's not the correct way of calculating mortality rates. It should be deaths divided by total cases. So 2707 / 80,348 = 3%.

Most likely it's less though, because many people would have the virus without feeling many symptoms. WHO estimates it's 2%.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-death-rate/#nhc
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-death-rate/#who
This is like calculating pass rate on a test with some students still taking the exam
arbusers
Administrator
AdministratorAdministratorAdministratorAdministratorAdministrator

Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:41 pm

Cheltenham festival 2020 is in 6 days from now. Let's cross our fingers this is not canceled, because if it is canceled almost all UK sports events will follow. An event without spectators would be acceptable though.
Vrwmikos Paiktis
Gaining experience
Gaining experience

Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:51 pm

Italy in quarantine.
Games will be played but no fans will attend. I hope others will follow.
arbusers
Administrator

Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:09 am

I would like to bring at your attention some facts. Don't take them lightly.

China announced a fatality of 2.10% of the Coronavirus. The number is clearly doctored. According to the stats that we see in Italy (which I believe has a better national health system than China) the fatality is 3.5%. Please notice, that we are in the early stages of the expansion, as only 20-25% of Italian cases are back to health. I can only assume, the fatality is among 4 and 5%.

The picture that I have from China is that more than 80 million people are under quarantine. Dead are lying on the streets. Party officials under heavy protection are protested. My sources are telling me, that China doctors electricity consumption in order to show the rest of the world that they already dealt with the problem. Factories are open, consuming electricity, without workers or real production.

The collective wisdom is reflected in the stock markets and the indexes show that we are far away from the point where we should stop being vigilant. Quite the contrary, we have seen only the primary reaction and not the main body of the problem.

To sum up. More or less, sporting events will continue without spectators. There is a question mark for the Olympic games, but this is not the main income for a smart bettor. We all have to be vigilant and protect our selves and beloved ones. Face every challenge from a mathematical point of view. I m sure you can play that role easily since you are already a smart bettor.
neopas
Pro
ProProProPro

Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:12 am

The situation is gloomier than the one that you described boss.
If you take a look at these stats:
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
You will see that the fatality is 6% and growing. Also, these graphs show that China is hiding the real numbers after the middle of February. Probably February the 23rd was the last day of real statistics from China.
Chipmunk
Gaining experience
Gaining experience

Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:44 pm

Lots of unique factors per country involved, but worth noting that S Korea, which has tested a higher % of their population than anyone else, has a mortality rate of 0.6%.
arbusers
Administrator

Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:05 am

At least at a mathematical level, the Coronavirus is spreading facing no real obstruction on a global scale.
What worries me more is that certain countries seem to be hiding reality.
Can you believe that Turkey has no Coronavirus incidents?
Also, so-called ''experts'' are flooding the internet with all the bullsh.t you can imagine. Doctors coming back from Wuhan, priests, football team coaches...they all have an opinion and an audience.
Massive well done to Klopp for the following answer:

phpBB [video]

I m no expert either and I only have an opinion. The best line of defense as I see it is reducing sociableness in the wider determination of the word.
alealeale
Totally Pro
Totally ProTotally ProTotally ProTotally ProTotally Pro

Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:20 pm

Italian betting shops are closed (together with several other kinds of commercial activities) from today due to government decision. Literally offline from a couple of hours ago.
arbusers
Administrator

Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:20 pm

alealeale wrote: Italian betting shops are closed (together with several other kinds of commercial activities) from today due to government decision. Literally offline from a couple of hours ago.
I believe many more countries will follow and will shut betting shops. More traffic and volumes online.
Wolfie
Totally Pro
Totally ProTotally ProTotally ProTotally ProTotally Pro

Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:53 am

arbusers wrote: At least at a mathematical level, the Coronavirus is spreading facing no real obstruction on a global scale.
Also, so-called ''experts'' are flooding the internet with all the bullsh.t you can imagine. Doctors coming back from Wuhan, priests, football team coaches...they all have an opinion and an audience.
Massive well done to Klopp for the following answer:

phpBB [video]

I m no expert either and I only have an opinion. The best line of defense as I see it is reducing sociableness in the wider determination of the word.
He is totally right. Now everyone has an opinion even if they have no knowledge on the topic. Since Italian government arrived at the conclusion of playing without fans i think all other governments will follow.
Jouban
Gaining experience
Gaining experience

Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:59 pm

Indian Wells, also known as the ''5th Slam'' in Tennis has been cancelled and if i'm not mistaken, with just one confirmed case of the virus in the region. A bit strange in my opinion. ITF's and Challengers roll on, except in China, South Korea, Japan, Italy, Israel and Bahrain. These are the countries, that have cancelled local tournaments. Probably more will follow.
Yngwie
Pro
ProProProPro

Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:52 pm

arbusers wrote: At least at a mathematical level, the Coronavirus is spreading facing no real obstruction on a global scale.
This is 2020. We're living in age of technology and internet..maybe age of social media. If there was a Corona virus case in Turkey, do you think it would stay hidden so long?? Twitter, Facebook, Instagram..Some people would report it without doubt..

You must appreciate Turkey about Corona Virus case. Turkey was one of the first countryiesto stop flights with China. Borders closed with Iran immediately. Many festivals and organizations postponed. Subways, streets disinfected everyday. If there isn't any casualties so far, it's a success.

However, we're living in a global world and it's impossible to be isolated. I'm afraid sooner or later, this virus may show up in Turkey too. We must do what we can to keep this virus away from us.

Italy did the right thing with cancelling all sport events 'til 3 April. Actually, it was a late decision. They should had act more early..

Don't forget to wash your hands often and use eau du cologne. Eat sheep’s head and foot soup and tripe soups, You must keep your Immunity system strong.
Last edited by Yngwie on Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DPG
Has experience
Has experienceHas experience

Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:31 pm

Read a few articles on the web and so called experts are estimating 20-60% of the adult population may catch this coronavirus. A vaccine could take 24 months to find.

It's times like this I'm happy I am self employed working from home rather than spending the entire day in some stuffy office filled with dirty crackers. Not to mention having to use the rancid tube where people are packed together like sardines during peak times.

Having said that sporting events are starting to be affected like Man City v Arsenal match today which is postponed. You have to feel Euro 2020 will be impacted. Can't see it going ahead at the moment.
DPG
Has experience
Has experienceHas experience

Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:38 pm

I knew Serie A was being played behind closed doors but just read the league has been suspended!

Return to “Newbie's questions”