BetBurger | Live and Pre-game surebets
RebelBetting - Turn betting into investing

Skrill account hacked. Questions coming up.

Skrill: VIP accounts | Highest Limits | Reduced costs
neopas
Pro
ProProProPro

Skrill account hacked. Questions coming up.

Thu Feb 16, 2023 11:30 am

I would like to bring to your attention the following situation as described by a fellow arber.

So he requested a withdrawal from a well know soft bookmaker that we all love, to his skrill account. The funds were received, business as usual. But minutes after this, he received an email from a Skrill lookalike email asking him to reply by mentioning the 6-digit code. Unfortunately, due to inexperience he replied and handed the code.
That was it. Money flew to a Neteller account.

I am wondering, was it a coincidence? How could they possibly know that money just landed in the account?
Any ideas?
cigo
Gaining experience
Gaining experience

Re: Skrill account hacked. Questions coming up.

Fri Feb 17, 2023 1:08 pm

email subaccount?
apoel81
Pro
ProProProPro

Fri Feb 17, 2023 7:43 pm

neopas wrote: I would like to bring at you attention the following situation as described by a fellow arber.

So he requested a withdrawal from a well know soft bookmaker that we all love, to his skrill account. The funds were received, business as usual. But minutes after this, he received an email from a Skrill lookalike email asking him to reply by mentioning the 6-digit code. Unfortunately, due to inexperience he replied and handed the code.
That was it. Money flown to a Neteller account.

I am wondering, was it a coincidence? How could they possibly know that money just landed to the account?
Any ideas?
Hackers may have hacked his email account earlier. So once your mate received the email from skrill that he received money from bookmaker, hackers sent him the email asking for his 6 digit code.

Personally got hacked about 3 years ago. There was a bookie called yourbet.com at that time. One day, i was requested to changed password every time i logged in. I must have changed password 20 times in a day. Thought it was a stalling technique from bookie but it seems that hackers had access to bookie database and not mine. Once i did the mistake to put my email password as password to my bookie account, hackers immediately got access into my hotmail account.

Tell your mate to check if there are unknown devices logged into his email account and when. They may have monitor his action for days.

P.S: Even if your mate sent his 6 digit code to hackers, they are still missing skrill password. Were they able to change his skrill password as well? If yes, they defo had access to his email.
neopas
Pro
ProProProPro

Sat Feb 18, 2023 8:05 pm

apoel81 wrote: Hackers may have hacked his email account earlier. So once your mate received the email from skrill that he received money from bookmaker, hackers sent him the email asking for his 6 digit code.
No such mail came.
apoel81
Pro
ProProProPro

Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:22 pm

neopas wrote:
apoel81 wrote: Hackers may have hacked his email account earlier. So once your mate received the email from skrill that he received money from bookmaker, hackers sent him the email asking for his 6 digit code.
No such mail came.
Strange, i always receive such email from skrill.
blizard
Has experience
Has experienceHas experience

Tue Feb 21, 2023 11:37 pm

Skrill always send email money received ... maybe goes to spam tho.

If they have access to email, makes sense to try trick you into giving them your skrill pin , because its needed to make a transfer and its not saved in your email history, also i think its a bit hard to retrieve it  (probably need to contact skrill live and not just send to email as happens with password)

Afrer they got the pin, can change password to login in skrill , tranfer money and delete all the mails so you not see.
Last edited by blizard on Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sandica9
Gaining experience
Gaining experience

Thu Feb 23, 2023 5:25 am

blizard wrote: Skrill always send email money received ... maybe goes to spam tho.

If they have access to email, makes sense to try trick you into giving them your skrill pin , because its needed to make a transfer and its not saved in your email history, also i think its a bit hard to retrieve it  (probably need to contact skrill live and not just send to email as happens with password)

Afrer they got the pin, can change password to login in skrill , tranfer money and delete all the mails so you not see.
Probably that's what happened indeed.
It's interesting how the email server let the hackers log in without extra verification (SMS, phone push notification). Maybe they have logged in from the same region and similar device?
arbusers
Administrator
AdministratorAdministratorAdministratorAdministratorAdministrator

Sat Feb 25, 2023 9:50 am

Even if the fraudsters had access to the e-mail, could someone explain how the heck did they know the username and the password of the account?
Alfa1234
Totally Pro
Totally ProTotally ProTotally ProTotally ProTotally Pro

Sun Feb 26, 2023 10:10 am

arbusers wrote: Even if the fraudsters had access to the e-mail, could someone explain how the heck did they know the username and the password of the account?
Username is the email and they could have sent a "forgotten password" link as soon as they had the secure code.
apoel81
Pro
ProProProPro

Tue Feb 28, 2023 11:26 am

Alfa1234 wrote:
arbusers wrote: Even if the fraudsters had access to the e-mail, could someone explain how the heck did they know the username and the password of the account?
Username is the email and they could have sent a "forgotten password" link as soon as they had the secure code.
Yes. That's why i believe hacker must have access to his email first.

Return to “Skrill”