Spain
21%

Total votes: 28
86Kopites
Gaining experience
Gaining experience

Re: Euro 2020 (2021) discussion and polls

Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:33 pm

Seems like here the fans of France prevail  :D A potential win would level them with Germany & Spain and they are motivated 100%. I'd love to watch more my national team England  8) but Belgium and Portugal are strong nominees, too. Hope VAR won't ruin the beauty of the game and we'll enjoy the EURO2020.
DPG
Has experience
Has experienceHas experience

Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:03 pm

International football is awful. Usually very dull and boring. This tournament has potential to be the worst ever with VAR and the fans booing and whistling pre kick off ruining it. Not to mention the possibility of key players and entire teams missing matches if they test positive for covid.

At the end of it they will give Ronaldo player of the tournament award even though he may have a below par performance in order to satisfy the corporate sponsors. UEFA is just all about money.
Last edited by DPG on Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
arbusers
Administrator
AdministratorAdministratorAdministratorAdministratorAdministrator

Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:21 pm

I have good hopes this will be a good tournament. Frankly, I believe multiple venues in several countries is a much bigger problem than VAR. Remember Russia 2018? It was the best Word Cup we have seen for decades, similar to Mexico 86. And France indeed represents quality.
DPG
Has experience

Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:35 pm

Russia 2018 was the world cup where they kept giving penalties for accidental handball thanks to VAR. There were 29 penalties awarded in just 64 matches. It was daft.
MikkoH37
Gaining experience
Gaining experience

Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:47 pm

This should be a very exciting summer! UEFA, the Olympics, The Tennis Gran Slams...I am looking forward to all of it : ) I hope we will watch good games and fair play
DPG
Has experience

Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:05 pm

I had a strong feeling this Euro's would be rubbish. 6 groups with 4 teams, that's 36 group stage matches and only 8 teams are eliminated. What an absolute waste of time with most matches having no intensity. I've switched off already and will go enjoy the sunshine instead. Might come back and watch the knock out stages from last 16 onwards.

UEFA are greedy pigs and more matches and less chances of 'big teams' going out early means more revenue for them, even though the tournament is not enjoyable as a spectacle and lasts too long. In it's entirety it lasts a whole month.
arbusers
Administrator

Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:24 pm

I removed all countries who did not qualify to the next round.
Those who voted for Poland and Slovakia, feel free to vote again.
bigtuna
Gaining experience
Gaining experience

Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:51 am

DPG wrote:
I had a strong feeling this Euro's would be rubbish. 6 groups with 4 teams, that's 36 group stage matches and only 8 teams are eliminated. What an absolute waste of time with most matches having no intensity. I've switched off already and will go enjoy the sunshine instead. Might come back and watch the knock out stages from last 16 onwards.

UEFA are greedy pigs and more matches and less chances of 'big teams' going out early means more revenue for them, even though the tournament is not enjoyable as a spectacle and lasts too long. In it's entirety it lasts a whole month.
What a load of bullshit. This Euro has already been much better than the 2016 in France. Very good matches in 2nd/3rd round group stage with lots of surprises and high scoring games. Also, no one wants to watch the same 8 teams in the Euros every single time. The charm, fairytale-stories and spectator-favorites always come from smaller teams, like Ireland, Wales, Iceland, Denmark etc.

And have you even watched any of the matches with VAR? It probably works better than ever. We haven't had any of the shitty handball-penalties from Russia 18.

The only negative thing about this Euro Cup is the lack of fans in many venues, but what can you do about that? Maybe they should've moved the whole cup to one country, but that country would have been UK and look at them now - no fans can get in.

I think a cup spread over several countries definitely has it's merits, as long as it's mostly being held in smaller countries which wouldn't ever host otherwise. But there's no point in having it in Italy, England, Germany etc.
Last edited by bigtuna on Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
DPG
Has experience

Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:43 am

It's still completely rubbish. The only good thing is that they have managed to stop giving penalties left, right and centre for accidental handball. Judging by the award and non award of penalties for alleged fouls in Portugal v France match, the VAR officials still have a long way to go.

As for the group stage it is pointless - there have been so many matches, 36 of them and now it goes from 24 teams to 16. Yawn. Still another 2 1/2 weeks of this overly long tournament to go and the boring, scared to make a mistake 0-0 after extra time and penalty shoot out matches are yet to come.

Where exactly are the surprises you talk about. All the favourites won their groups apart from Spain and that's because Spain are shit these days and have no top class forwards.

What have Ireland ever done at a tournament? Wales are not a small team but have 2 of the best players in the world, Bale and Ramsey and Wales have been ranked in the top echelon of national teams for years. Denmark are of the best teams aswell. You are entitled to your opinion but I completely disagree.
bigtuna
Gaining experience
Gaining experience

Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:45 am

Not a fan of VAR in general, but saying that it's been shit in the cup is just not true. It's been better than in any league. There's still room for improvement, but this Euro Cup shows that it can actually work quite well.

It's fair enough to not like national football, but saying it's a waste of time is objectively not true. It's huge in almost every participating country. Most even bigger than club football. But I understand you if you don't like national football, because I feel the same as you about most club football and that goes on for several months and not just 1 month. For me Champions League is pointless, players are just in it for the business - no pride compared to national football.

Surprises? Germany 10 minutes from leaving the Euro in group stage. Hungary drawing against France, Finland beating Denmark, Denmark playing better than Belgium, Sweden taking 1st place etc. In general huge dramas in the 3rd round matches of B, E and F unlike anything we've seen in a long time.

What has Ireland ever done at a tournament? The team itself, not so much. But luckily a Euro Cup is about much more than that. The Irish brought a big chunk of the atmosphere and songs that we now associate with football in France for example. Same did Iceland. Same did Peru at the World Cup in Russia. Denmark brought solidarity to this Euro.

I couldn't think of anything more boring than having an 8 team Euro Cup with Germany, Italy, France, Spain, England, Netherlands, Belgium, X every single time. Welcome to a national version of the Super League.
arbusers
Administrator

Mon Jun 28, 2021 3:14 pm

Those who voted for Portugal, can vote again.
MikkoH37
Gaining experience
Gaining experience

Mon Jun 28, 2021 3:57 pm

Good for Belgium to make it to the Quarterfinals, but Portugal was very unlucky.
I hope Croatia will win today. Spain so far is really overrated.
CharlieSheen99
Pro
ProProProPro

Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:17 pm

MikkoH37 wrote: Good for Belgium to make it to the Quarterfinals, but Portugal was very unlucky.
I hope Croatia will win today. Spain so far is really overrated.
Miau miau miau....
Where is Van der Vaart right now?
At home watching TV.
;)
bigtuna
Gaining experience
Gaining experience

Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:19 pm

@DPG

Still not entertained?  :D
Sandica9
Gaining experience
Gaining experience

Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:49 am

After a couple of years of pause, tonight I have attended a football match: France vs Switzerland!

Return to “Rest Area”