Value betting

Make bookmakers cash cow machines
Yaeshawn
Gaining experience
Gaining experience

Value betting

Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:15 pm

Hi fellow arbers/valuebettors

From what i am reading in other forums and especially in this one from bettor's experiences ,testing methods and gathered information , is that the good old arbing days are over due to EU soft bookmakers limiting way too fast and not allowing

bettors to bet heavy ,resulting in one burnt ID.

However , in-play value betting seems to be the only viable,unique method to keep one's account a decent amount of time , extracting a juicy proft from bookies (if we take into consideration that in-play value betting is harder for bookies to detect

especially on big betting days and they have inarguably higher betting limits.)

I live in Southern Europe and i must confess that bookies keep a very hostile attitude -atleast where i am from- so having a long lasting , with decent limits account is vital for our betting existence.

The way i see it , in-play value betting can be achieved by leaving the arbitrage bet uncovered...meaning that we should not cover the "sharp" side of our bet on the Asians and let it run in the Soft books.That way in the long haul we will be many

units /+ on profit because , as it has been proven on other threads in this forum , the sharp side ends up reducing our long term gains.

This of course sounds very easy to say , but we have to avoid 2 traps :

1) the psychological burden of having big loss streaks and losing money time to time ( especially in the beginning this could be a real downside leading to quick failure of the project)

2) the correct betting stakes ( a small percentage of our bankroll that will be followed with determination and discipline which depending on your gains ,shall scale to give us more profits without the probability of losing off our budget of course)

I would like to exchange experiences and knowledge between us bettors and hope you all leave a piece of info down this thread to help each other.

Thank you in advance!
Last edited by Yaeshawn on Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
macola
Has experience
Has experienceHas experience

Re: Value betting

Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:11 pm

Keep going track results, improve where you see you are underperforming.
Yaeshawn
Gaining experience
Gaining experience

Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:31 pm

Thank you for your response macola !

I do actually keep track of every sinlge one of my bets.

I have had some very frustrating loss streaks which trigger me really hard and i feel like raising my bet amount to get what i lost back , but i haven;t committed such a foolishness yet.

Not going to lie though ,some times it feels tempting.

What i am not sure of , is my approach to this whole project.

Am i making the right moves?

Is my betting strategy valid?

Even though , i have seen it work...when you put in practise , every so often it makes you doubt the whole thing.
peny22
Has experience

Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:17 am

Yaeshawn wrote: Hi fellow arbers/valuebettors

From what i am reading in other forums and especially in this one from bettor's experiences ,testing methods and gathered information , is that the good old arbing days are over due to EU soft bookmakers limiting way too fast and not allowing

bettors to bet heavy ,resulting in one burnt ID.

However , in-play value betting seems to be the only viable,unique method to keep one's account a decent amount of time , extracting a juicy proft from bookies (if we take into consideration that in-play value betting is harder for bookies to detect

especially on big betting days and they have inarguably higher betting limits.)

I live in Southern Europe and i must confess that bookies keep a very hostile attitude -atleast where i am from- so having a long lasting , with decent limits account is vital for our betting existence.

The way i see it , in-play value betting can be achieved by leaving the arbitrage bet uncovered...meaning that we should not cover the "sharp" side of our bet on the Asians and let it run in the Soft books.That way in the long haul we will be many

units /+ on profit because , as it has been proven on other threads in this forum , the sharp side ends up reducing our long term gains.

This of course sounds very easy to say , but we have to avoid 2 traps :

1) the psychological burden of having big loss streaks and losing money time to time ( especially in the beginning this could be a real downside leading to quick failure of the project)

2) the correct betting stakes ( a small percentage of our bankroll that will be followed with determination and discipline which depending on your gains ,shall scale to give us more profits without the probability of losing off our budget of course)

I would like to exchange experiences and knowledge between us bettors and hope you all leave a piece of info down this thread to help each other.

Thank you in advance!
What Valuebet search software do you use? What percentage of Valuebet is best to play and what odds? How much Valuebet do you play per day?
le
leonbet

Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:31 pm

Hello dear Yaeshawn, nice post about your strategy and your experiences with value betting, but I see a few weaknesses in this strategy.According to your betting model, you take the side of an arbitrage situation in the soft bookmaker without covering the bet in sharp (please forgive me if I misunderstood).My experience is that a strategy based on such an approach is too volatile and ineffective.Without going into technical details, because it would be too long a post, I will say that with such a betting model you take a lot of false value bets and miss a lot of real value bets, for the simple reason that they did not enter an arbitration situation.Here we come to the two traps you pointed out.If you have the right betting model, and not just take the soft side of arbitrage bets, you will significantly reduce the number of false values (about 2% of all bets taken) and significantly increase the total number of bets taken daily, monthly, annually and such as.This way, you will avoid both traps you are writing about.It will dramatically reduce the likelihood of long losing streaks due to the fact that you have about 98% real values.Of course, there is no way to completely eliminate this possibility, and such series will happen but it will be very, very rare.This also leads to the removal of the other trap, when the probability of a long losing streak is minimized, you can significantly increase the size of your bet.As practice shows, two main types of bet size are used for the value bets.The first type is Kelly's criterion or some similar modification, I am not a supporter of this approach because the size of the bet depends on the size of the value.And as experience shows, the amount of value rarely has to do with the real probability of a single event happening.Here I may meet many opponents of this statement of mine, but I will not go into details and mathematical proofs now, again because the post would become very long.The second main approach is a fixed percentage of bankroll.it is widely recommended between 1% and 2.5%.I would also recommend 1% to any beginner and to anyone who bases their strategy on simple soft side making without coverage.But in this post I'm talking about the right strategy, which as I said eliminates some weaknesses in value betting.In such a situation, the amount of your bet could be 3% - 5%.Personally, I use 3% for small leagues and 5% for big leagues.Regarding the right strategy for finding value bets, I would say that there are also a few basic ways.1. Own knowledge of certain sports / leagues, 2. Use of proven tipsters. 3. Analysis of the movement of market prices.I will not dwell on the first two ways because I myself am not an expert in any sport, and good tipsters are a very delicate product. ;).Market price analysis is relatively simple in concept, easy to apply and an inexpensive way to build the right betting strategy.What is fundamental to this betting model, and what many value bettors miss, is precisely the analysis of odds movement.The odds movement alone is not enough to take a bet.In order to have the right value betting strategy it is important to know why the odds is moving, and most importantly what is the cash flow that is moving the odds.The most important thing in building the right value betting model is to monitor the charts of market price movements and their proper evaluation.That is, our work is closer in nature to the work of stock traders than to the work of sports tipsters.

I wish you success and fruitful work!
Yaeshawn
Gaining experience
Gaining experience

Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:14 pm

Hi peny22

I just read your questions, let me answer them as honestly as i can.

1)I am currently using BetBurger.For me it's by far the best in-play value/arbitrage betting scanner there is at the moment out there , right along with some others are not widely know.
It provides a majority for value bets in many many sports and events and it includes the main bookmakers in Greece (most arb services include 3-4 Greek bookies max , that betburger outclasses them in the department)

2)I can not tell with certainty what is "bets to " play but the bigger the value the better the returns.The point is looking for high percentages value oppurtnities.I myself play anything between 5% to 25% value percentages.Don't know if thats the way to go but that is what i am going for.Odds vary and you shouldn't limit yourself to only let's say <2.1 odds.Sometimes there is value on the 1.72 odd and sometimes on the price of 9 and even bigger.Last night for example there was a value bet on a brazilian match and even on bet365...match was 2-0 in 83' and some Asian bookies had blocked the match or other had max odds at 3.75 for the over2.5 goals while on bet365 asian over2.5 was at 5.1..3 minutes later over 2.5 was at 4.2 on Sbobet and nearly 8 on bet365.Of course you must bet that and not be affraid of the odd (take into consideration that if you win 1/8 such picks you are even capitalwise).Ref gave +6 extra minutes , then gave 2 red cards , then gave another 3min of extra time and if the 100' a penatly was give for the home team , she scored , winning us the bet with the 3-0 Full time score ( https://www.soccer24.com/match/Gl6s8eB4/#match-summary that was the match).So any given odd that you see a decent perc of value should be bet on and when value is that big don't even cover your position.

3)Depends on my daily schedule.On a sports busy weekend i can play even 250bets in those 3 days.Now that there aren;t many leagues and matches i rarely play 20-30 bets per day.Some days i just don;t feel like it and take the day off.If your heart isnt in it at that time , don't push yourself or you are going to make many mistakes and risk your balance without any reason.Also if you see that you are in a loss streak , don 't tilt , take a break if needed , reconsider your method and come back stronger later on...choose to fight another day  ;)
Yaeshawn
Gaining experience
Gaining experience

Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:21 pm

Hi LeonBet

thank you for taking much of your valuable time to reply under my post.

You made some extremely valid points there about the mistakes of my method and i must agree that you 're right.

I wil reconsider my approach and try to improve according to your suggestions.

Such precious information can only make me a better bettor and opinions from players with suck great knowledge and experience over sports betting is remarkable and thank you for sharing it with me.

If you have ANY other advice i would gradly listen to it and take it into serious consideration while working on my improving my method , even if that means changing this very method into something better.

Like what mistakes did you make when getting involved with in-play value betting or arbing.

Thank you in advance @leonbet
peny22
Has experience

Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:44 pm

leonbet wrote: Hello dear Yaeshawn, nice post about your strategy and your experiences with value betting, but I see a few weaknesses in this strategy.According to your betting model, you take the side of an arbitrage situation in the soft bookmaker without covering the bet in sharp (please forgive me if I misunderstood).My experience is that a strategy based on such an approach is too volatile and ineffective.Without going into technical details, because it would be too long a post, I will say that with such a betting model you take a lot of false value bets and miss a lot of real value bets, for the simple reason that they did not enter an arbitration situation.Here we come to the two traps you pointed out.If you have the right betting model, and not just take the soft side of arbitrage bets, you will significantly reduce the number of false values (about 2% of all bets taken) and significantly increase the total number of bets taken daily, monthly, annually and such as.This way, you will avoid both traps you are writing about.It will dramatically reduce the likelihood of long losing streaks due to the fact that you have about 98% real values.Of course, there is no way to completely eliminate this possibility, and such series will happen but it will be very, very rare.This also leads to the removal of the other trap, when the probability of a long losing streak is minimized, you can significantly increase the size of your bet.As practice shows, two main types of bet size are used for the value bets.The first type is Kelly's criterion or some similar modification, I am not a supporter of this approach because the size of the bet depends on the size of the value.And as experience shows, the amount of value rarely has to do with the real probability of a single event happening.Here I may meet many opponents of this statement of mine, but I will not go into details and mathematical proofs now, again because the post would become very long.The second main approach is a fixed percentage of bankroll.it is widely recommended between 1% and 2.5%.I would also recommend 1% to any beginner and to anyone who bases their strategy on simple soft side making without coverage.But in this post I'm talking about the right strategy, which as I said eliminates some weaknesses in value betting.In such a situation, the amount of your bet could be 3% - 5%.Personally, I use 3% for small leagues and 5% for big leagues.Regarding the right strategy for finding value bets, I would say that there are also a few basic ways.1. Own knowledge of certain sports / leagues, 2. Use of proven tipsters. 3. Analysis of the movement of market prices.I will not dwell on the first two ways because I myself am not an expert in any sport, and good tipsters are a very delicate product. ;).Market price analysis is relatively simple in concept, easy to apply and an inexpensive way to build the right betting strategy.What is fundamental to this betting model, and what many value bettors miss, is precisely the analysis of odds movement.The odds movement alone is not enough to take a bet.In order to have the right value betting strategy it is important to know why the odds is moving, and most importantly what is the cash flow that is moving the odds.The most important thing in building the right value betting model is to monitor the charts of market price movements and their proper evaluation.That is, our work is closer in nature to the work of stock traders than to the work of sports tipsters.

It's just hard to ask any expert about their Valuebet's opinions when you play them live.
L
Gaining experience
Gaining experience

Fri Aug 06, 2021 2:49 pm

Also you have to consider what kind of tools are available to you. Personally I would never do live value betting without using bots and reliable odds feed. Using mainstream alert services, such as BB and others, it is very easy to place bets which actually don't have value or where value has disappeared due to delayed or wrong odds feed. Odds are moving really fast in live betting and just because there was value 10 sec ago it does not mean it is still there when you place a bet. 80% of the bet attempts my bots make fail due to odds changing and value disappearing. It is very hard to make such checks if you do all the work manually. So a big percentage of your bets could be placed on wrong value and this is why so many people who attempt to do live value betting actually lose money.

Unless you are very experienced value bettor you would be better off doing pre-match value betting or live arbing. At least in live arbing you know for sure if you placed the right bet. And pre-match value betting is still possible to do if you make sure to have unique betting pattern and not do what 99% of the value bettors/arbers do.
arb12
Totally Pro
Totally ProTotally ProTotally ProTotally ProTotally Pro

Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:18 pm

leonbet wrote: Hello dear Yaeshawn, nice post about your strategy and your experiences with value betting, but I see a few weaknesses in this strategy.According to your betting model, you take the side of an arbitrage situation in the soft bookmaker without covering the bet in sharp (please forgive me if I misunderstood).My experience is that a strategy based on such an approach is too volatile and ineffective.Without going into technical details, because it would be too long a post, I will say that with such a betting model you take a lot of false value bets and miss a lot of real value bets, for the simple reason that they did not enter an arbitration situation.Here we come to the two traps you pointed out.If you have the right betting model, and not just take the soft side of arbitrage bets, you will significantly reduce the number of false values (about 2% of all bets taken) and significantly increase the total number of bets taken daily, monthly, annually and such as.This way, you will avoid both traps you are writing about.It will dramatically reduce the likelihood of long losing streaks due to the fact that you have about 98% real values.Of course, there is no way to completely eliminate this possibility, and such series will happen but it will be very, very rare.This also leads to the removal of the other trap, when the probability of a long losing streak is minimized, you can significantly increase the size of your bet.As practice shows, two main types of bet size are used for the value bets.The first type is Kelly's criterion or some similar modification, I am not a supporter of this approach because the size of the bet depends on the size of the value.And as experience shows, the amount of value rarely has to do with the real probability of a single event happening.Here I may meet many opponents of this statement of mine, but I will not go into details and mathematical proofs now, again because the post would become very long.The second main approach is a fixed percentage of bankroll.it is widely recommended between 1% and 2.5%.I would also recommend 1% to any beginner and to anyone who bases their strategy on simple soft side making without coverage.But in this post I'm talking about the right strategy, which as I said eliminates some weaknesses in value betting.In such a situation, the amount of your bet could be 3% - 5%.Personally, I use 3% for small leagues and 5% for big leagues.Regarding the right strategy for finding value bets, I would say that there are also a few basic ways.1. Own knowledge of certain sports / leagues, 2. Use of proven tipsters. 3. Analysis of the movement of market prices.I will not dwell on the first two ways because I myself am not an expert in any sport, and good tipsters are a very delicate product. ;).Market price analysis is relatively simple in concept, easy to apply and an inexpensive way to build the right betting strategy.What is fundamental to this betting model, and what many value bettors miss, is precisely the analysis of odds movement.The odds movement alone is not enough to take a bet.In order to have the right value betting strategy it is important to know why the odds is moving, and most importantly what is the cash flow that is moving the odds.The most important thing in building the right value betting model is to monitor the charts of market price movements and their proper evaluation.That is, our work is closer in nature to the work of stock traders than to the work of sports tipsters.

@leonbet,
Very value post, thank you,
I appreciate everything you posted.
Let me add some thoughts.
Your main approach is probably technical analysis by odds flow, based on money weight. That's very good, indeed. But I advice to expand that approach and adding quality analysis, also known as fundamental analysis. The player could use expert opinion about sport regarding to wagering market. Every sport prematch or in every stage on match may have specific features. Strongly advice to consider these features and combine with technical analysis. Therefore real value will be more than "synthetic" value which are "unstable" without fundamental one. Let's say during your work you may observe 98% real values.But adding sportal expertise and some fundamental analysis you may increase these to almost full.
Naturally, due to Probability theory you cannot achieve full accuracy, but at that stage  you implement your tasks.
Another note from my side is that Kelly approach is very very precious jewel in your hand. But Kelly is not for everyone.
For specific circumstances you may add backtest analysis for fundamental and for technical ones.
Another players task may be comparison between  various wagering methods and Kelly approach may be one of them.
Downside about Kelly approach is poor players assessment regarding to real value, but that's not Kelly's problem, but players one. Therefore, fundamental expertise may increase your results in your tasks.
I know it's not easy but realistic.
A beautiful engineering creature,
the World's largest civilian Aircraft:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqGvGSeLm_U
Sandica9
Gaining experience
Gaining experience

Sun Aug 08, 2021 7:40 pm

Even though I will stir up a lot of criticism, here it is: to my mind technical analysis is pure bs. It's pseudo science. It's like looking for patterns in randomness...
Yaeshawn
Gaining experience
Gaining experience

Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:25 pm

Hi Sandica9

Why do you think that?

Thank you for your response!
nemo121
Gaining experience
Gaining experience

Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:51 pm

strategy.According to your betting model, you take the side of an arbitrage situation in the soft bookmaker without covering the bet in sharp (please forgive me if I misunderstood).My experience is that a strategy based on such an approach is too volatile and ineffective.

Why you think it is not effective? I do it more than one year, and I can write that strategy give me 12 % roi. Sorry for my English))
Sandica9
Gaining experience
Gaining experience

Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:38 pm

Yaeshawn wrote: Hi Sandica9

Why do you think that?

Thank you for your response!
I don t think, I know. Haha. Too much to talk about. There are so many millionares saying (but not always thinking) the opposite that I prefer not to develop my point of view here
GStyle
Gaining experience
Gaining experience

Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:07 pm

Hello,

Is it ok to value bet twice in the same game bet in different times? will this be a problem ?
For example, pin gives -4.5 1.85 at 4p 6:00 minute, and i found this at -2.5 1.85 at softy, after 1 minute the pin goes to -6.5 1.85 and the soft to -4.5 1.85 at 5minute of game.

So its ok the bet on soft -2.5 and -4.5 ? or 1 bet per game?

Return to “Arbing, matched betting and trading talk”