How bookies protect themselves against in stadium mobile bet players?

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How bookies protect themselves against in stadium mobile bet players?  (Read 1418 times)
nickolas

View Profile

nickolas

I know that the image/radio you get has few seconds of delay.
What if someone inside the venue bets with his cellphone that team A will score an additional goal the moment the team scores it. :P

Do bookies have a system to protect themselves against such behaviour?
Is it illegal in the first place (though good luck catching you!)?
Thordin
Pro

View Profile

Thordin

Re: How bookies protect themselves against in stadium mobile bet players?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2016, 08:49:48 AM »

There are people at the stadium being paid to be faster than you. They are called scouts, they are the ones telling the data companies, and in turn the bookies, who is attacking what happened, when a goal is scored etc.
But, in tennis for example I thing it is illegal as if you are one ball forward in betfair all the time you get rich. There are some stories online for you to google regarding that.

About the scouts, it gets more interesting. Sometimes there is only ONE (!!!) scout at the match reporting what happens. In eastern europe he might be paid  like 30 euros for the job. Easy for organised crime to bribe them, not that its smart to refuse them anyway, or so the movies say...
It can be just to delay reporting a goal or to make up a match from their head.
Google ''ghost matches'' and read some reports, at least 4 confirmed matches that were offered in-play and never took place!
Players were resting at the hotel and the match was in-play on bet365, official club pages hacked to add the match and the result after it 'finished'.
AlexNotman1

View Profile

AlexNotman1

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2016, 08:51:08 AM »

I used to do courtsiding (just few games). But every time I tried to take advantage of delay I was late 1-3 seconds. Im pretty sure that you would beat bookie from time to time but it's all about travel expenses and motivation. If you got few stadiums next to you, tickets aren't expensive and you don't give up even if you will have to wait quite few games to beat the bookie, you've got a chance to earn some.

Do they care? Depends. I used to do this in my country and nobody gave a shit. Friend of mine were courtsiding in UK and in lower divisions no problems at all. But when he tried to do this on a Premier League game, they found out and warned him next time he's found he will be in serious trouble. So he gave up cause there were people watching if anyone do this.

Is it illegal? Hmm... I read a lot about people trying to courtside Australian Open and being charged. They don't like this for sure and they will find a way to get rid of you doing this. Friend of mine were accused of illegally sending information to other parties, guy courtsiding Australian Open was accused of "corrupt a betting outcome and receiving financial advantage" so I would be very cautious trying to courtsiding.
nickolas

View Profile

nickolas

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2016, 09:56:21 AM »

You can have both bets ready to hit OK with sums and everything. So a tenth maybe reaction time for someone with experience, surely no worse than their scout. Though web/3g will add some delay but still not much worse than 1/10th of a second I guess.

I find it difficult how they can charge you over this. "corrupt a betting outcome" sounds hilarious to me. They could simply put a rule that if you bet for the next goal within 30sec or 10sec of it actually occurring, no bet.
AlexNotman1

View Profile

AlexNotman1

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2016, 10:13:14 AM »

There are ways to increase your chances getting on before game is suspended. If you watch a game and you see that there will be empty net or one team left just goalie behind (counter-attack), you can bet on team which suppose to score or on overs. If they score - you can green. If they dont - just take small loss.

Or just take a scout job and before you suspend a game make sure you placed your bets first :D
Thordin
Pro

View Profile

Thordin

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2016, 10:22:38 AM »

Nicholas, come on, you are forgetting bet pending time / danger zone...
nickolas

View Profile

nickolas

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2016, 01:50:57 PM »

Nicholas, come on, you are forgetting bet pending time / danger zone...

I am not forgetting, I just don't know! I am new to betting.
It seems to me my bets with bet365 have no pending time, though I have only bet once to a live event.
Chipmunk

View Profile

Chipmunk

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2016, 02:56:28 PM »

Aside from danger zone issues, soccer/football isn't best suited to this because you have very few moments where sudden events drastically change the prices - that being where you make all the money.

This is why courtsiding is so popular in tennis, you have frequent large swings.
KC83

View Profile

KC83

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2016, 09:24:47 PM »

I have read an article recently that 10 chair umpires was caught on delaying scores. Bookmaker boards where changing when they were changing scores cos they are connected. They were doing it on low rank tournaments like ITF or even ITF2. It would be very hard to be faster than chair umpire.
Arbusers
Administrator
Pro

View Profile WWW

Arbusers

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2016, 04:06:13 PM »

Some scouts and some courtsiders are among us.
ArberPro
Has some experience

View Profile

ArberPro

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2016, 02:06:59 PM »

Courtsiding is efficent in sports wich have many points ,it isn't good for football because bookies have the exact time of a goal so they void the bet .Nowadays i don't know how much profit is there because of instant limitations ( i think the majority of bookies implemented software to combat this)plus legal implications in some country's (2 cases have been reported one in australia and one in singapore, i know the guy from australia wasn't found guilty).
Buddha

Email

Buddha

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2016, 02:59:37 AM »

From personal experience, anyone can tell the soft books which have the shortest pending/danger time in ITF tournaments?

In ITF tournament there are hired guys ( and girls too ) who monitor and watch suspicious people who are on their electronic devices more than they should, and they can throw you out of the tournament if they are sure you are doing sidecourting/betting with advantage. They are allowed to do this.
Most of the time you can spot the dude quite easily, and you can even befriend him. He won't be paying attention during all games, and with the right strategy you can surely trick bookmakers in small ITF tournaments.
However, the easiest way is to bribe the referees who are reporting to Enetpulse/other company. They( as well as players) are trained into not accepting bribes and reporting any such offers right away, or they risk losing their job/banned for life.
There is usually warnings printed on courtsides/inside resort about match fixing, bribes. In most of these tournaments there were <10 people watching the game really, they are amateur stuff. Even for semi finals, finals not many people will show up. Usually you have the coaches, 1-2 tournament officials, the referee and the casual resort tourist wanting to enjoy a tennis game. Maybe the partners/parents of players but this happens rarely.

If anyone wants to discuss more on said topic, hit me up with a PM.
Arbusers
Administrator
Pro

View Profile WWW

Arbusers

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2016, 12:52:59 PM »

I watched an EPL game recently and many people around me were using their smartphones to bet, business as usual. However, I must say that they all looked like small fishes enjoying the game, while placing a small bet in Paddy for fun. I don't know what would happen if someone brings in his laptop, login to betfair and start trading.
The same for a Greek basketball game. Situation was rather relaxed, I m sure that a laptop would be very much acceptable.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 12:54:51 PM by Arbusers » Logged
M@chibist

View Profile

M@chibist

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2016, 01:55:03 PM »

- Hardly any benefit of courtsiding if it is not sport with a lot of points and good liquidity on exchange. Holy grail is tennis of course which is why scouting services do not offer tennis data. That data is reserved for the chosen ones. Biggest tennis courtsider have his topic here but he did not introduced himself properly.
Osaka

View Profile

Osaka

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2016, 08:41:27 AM »

Most bookies these days have recognition software for punters that tend to place late bets. And very late bets (just before suspending the odds) are very often reviewed. You will get limited, suspended fast and even your winnings taken away if there is a pattern of these bets.
Pages: [1]
Print